COMPUTER AIDED DRAFTING AND COST ESTIMATION (Use of Design Data Book permitted in the examination)
Faculty: Dr. G. Prabhakaian
OBJECTIVE: Practice on principles of machine drawing and practical applications of production drawing in cost estimation.
1. STANDARDS AND CONVENTIONS (8)
Current international standards (ISO) & Indian Standards (IS)-types of lines-principles of presentation - dimensioning - conventional representation of threaded parts, springs, and gears.
2. DIMENSIONAL AND FORM TOLERANCES (8)
Limits & fits IT system of tolerances, deviation of fit - geometric toleiance-tolerancing of form, orientation, location and runout - datums & Datum Systems-Dimensioning and tolerancing of profiles
3. MANUFACTURING DRAWINGS (8)
Surface texture indication on drawing - welds symbolic representation of drawings. Given a sub- assembly/assembly to prepare manufacturing drawings of components (at least 10 exercises). Sample exercises on CAD- preparation of manufacturing Drawings.
4. REDIMENSIONING AND TOLERANCE CHARTING (8)
Introduction to redimensionmg to suit manufacturing requirements-manufacturing datum-functional datum. Introduction to tolerance charting
5. COST ESTIMATION (8)
Preparation of Process chart for a given component-estimation of setting time and machining time- estimation of material cost, labour cost and overhead cost based on supplied data (the student will be asked to make free hand sketches of manufacturing drawings on A4 sheets)
1. 18:10714,10715,10716,10717,11669,10719,813,919,2709,8000 pti to 10721,11158 & corresponding ISO
2. Siddeshwar & Kanniah ."Machine Drawing", Tata McGraw hill 1985
3. Gopalakrishna, K.R., "Machine Drawing" sabhas publications, 1990
4. Standard drawing practice for schools 7 colleges (SP46)
5. Harrypeck, "Design for manufacture", ch Hl,pitman,1973
6. Oliver Wade, "Tolerance charting", 1972