DESIGN FOR MANUFACTURE PRE-REQUISITE: Knowledge of maclime drawing.
Faculty: Dr. A. Noorul Haq
OBJECTIVE : To focus on manufacturing aspects in the design of parts and products.
1. DESIGN PROCESS (8)
General aspects of designers work - definition of engineering design - kinds of design - adaptive design - development design - new design - qualities required in a designer - factory influencing design. Design process - steps - recognition of need - definition of problem - gathering of information - conceptualization - evaluation - communication of design - concurrent engineering. Detailed morphology of design.
2. MATERIAL SELECTION & MANUFACTURING (8)
Material selection - factors determining choice of materials - performance characteristics of materials - materials selection process -evaluation methods for material selection- principal materials used. Manufacturing - factors influencing manufacture - role of manufacture in design - classification of manufacturing process- factors that influence the selection of manufacturing process -economics of manufacturing - factors in selecting a material for production, design for heat treatment.
3. DESIGN FOR CASTING AND WELDING (8)
Design for castings - form design of steel, grey iron, malleable iron and aluminium castings . Form design of welded fabrications - welding processes gas or arc welding - weld forms -joints used in welding
4.DESIGN FOR FORMING, FORGING AND POWDER METALLURGY (8)
Design for forgings - design for sheet metal forming - design for powder metallurgy - design for plastics.
5. DESIGN FOR MACHINING AND ASSEMBLY (8)
Design for machining -design for machinability, design for ecconomy - design for clampability: Design for ease of assembly .
1. Matousek, "Engineering Design", Blackie & Sons Ltd., Glasford, 1967.
1. Dieter, "Engineering Design", McGraw Hill Co.Ltd, 1987.
2. Asirnov, "Introduction to design" Prentice Hall, New Delhi, 5th Edn.
3. Serope Kalpakjian, "Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials" Addison Wesley Publishing Company, 3rd Edn. 1997.