Elective - II
WORK DESIGN AND FACILITIES PLANNING PRE-REQUISITE: Nil
Faculty:Dr. A. Noorul Haq
OBJECTIVE: To know about the method study and work measurement techniques and also to know about layout techniques.
1. METHODS STUDY (8)
Productivity -definition -motion and time study and productivity-history of motion and time study. Methods design - basic procedure -recording techniques - micromotion and macromotion study - fundamental hand motions - film analysis - cycle graph and chronocyclegraph -principles of motion economy.
2. WORK: MEASUREMENT (8)
Work measurement - techniques of work measurement - time study - production study - work sampling - synthesis from standard data - predetermined motion time standards - analytical estimation.
3. FACILITY LAYOUT (8)
Facility location factors - steps in facility location study- area selection - community selection - site selection. Facility layout - layout planning - layout types - process layout - product layout - hybrid layout - fixed position layout. Process layout analysis - a three-step procedure - gathering information - develop a block plan - design a detailed layout. Product layout analysis - line balancing - balance delay and effectiveness. Brown Gibson model.
4. LAYOUT DESIGN PROCESS (8)
Layout design process - systematic layout planning - flow analysis and activity analysis - relationship diagram - space requirement and availability - designing the layout.
5. COMPUTERISED LAYOUT PLANNING (7)
Discrete location and layout problem - assignment model- computerised layout planning - CRAFT, ALDEP & CORELAP.
1. Bames, "Motion and time study", John Wiley, New York, 1990.
2. Apple, J.M. "Plant Layout and Materials Handling", Ronald Press Company, New York, 1977.
3. ILO, "Introduction to workstudy", ILO,Geneva,1974.
4. Francis And White, "Facility layout and Location", Prentice Hall,NewJersy,1974.
1. Krajewnki & Rjtsman, "Operations Management", Addison wesly Pub. CO., 1987.
2. Manipal, "Essential of Production and Operations Management", Prentice Hall, New Jersy,1984.