DESIGN OF PRODUCTION TOOLING PRE-REQUISITE: Should have completed course work on manufacturing methods
Faculty: Dr. G.Prabaharan
OBJECTIVE: To study the principles of tooling. To design tools for machining & forming.
1. Objectives of tool design (7)
tool design process - Design of tooling for machining
2. Chip formation (7)
types, mechanism, tool wear, tool life, machinability, cutting force - tool material - single and multipoint point tool.
3. Jigs and fixtures (9)
Principles of jigs & fixtures - principles of location and clamping, types of locators and clamps - types of fixtures
4. Design of tooling for forming (9)
types of operation types of power press principles of forging and extrusion dies.
5. Special tooling modular fixtures (9)
tooling for inspection -design of gauges tool manufacturing machines - tooling for CMM
1. Sharma,P.C., "A Text Book of Production Engineering", S.Chand & Company Ltd., 1997.
2. Parsons, W.J„ "Production tooling equipment", Macmillan& Co. Ltd., 1966.
3. Donaldson, C., "Tool Design", Tata MeGlaw Hill Pub.Co., m Ed., 1986.
4. Hoffinan, G., "Fundamentals of Tool Design", SMF Publications, II Ed„ 1984.
1. Sharma,P.C., “A Text Book of Production Engineering”, S.Chand & Company Ltd., 1997.
2. Parsons, W.J., “Production tooling equipment”, Macmillan & Co. Ltd., 1966.
3. Donaldson, C., “Tool Design”, Tata McGraw Hill Pub.Co., III Ed., 1986.