System of Evaluation
- The course for the award of B.Tech. degree comprises 4 years and the medium of instruction is English.
- NITT follows grade point average system. Semester / Supplementary examinations are evaluated using relative grading only.
- Grade points are assigned as follows : S - 10; A - 9; B - 8; C - 7; D - 6; E - 5; F - 0 (FAIL)
- CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) is the ratio of the sum of product of number of credits of course with grade point scored in that course, taken for all the courses in the program, to the sum of the number of credits of all the courses in the program.
- A candidate who passes the examinations of all semesters in the first appearance, and in addition secures a CGPA of 8.5 and above, is declared to have passed in FIRST CLASS WITH DISTINCTION. A candidate who passes the examinations of all semesters and and secures a CGPA of 6.5 and above, but below 8.5 and completes the course within 9 semesters, is declared to have passed in FIRST CLASS. A candidate who passes the examinations of all semesters after the lapse of 9 semesters or secures a CGPA below 6.5 is declared to have passed in SECOND CLASS.
- A student may be permitted to withdraw from appearing from the current semester examinations entirely or partially only once during the entire course of study and such withdrawal shall not be construed as an appearance for classification (vide para 5 above).