Dr.Katakam Siva Prasad
Dr.Katakam Siva Prasad
Date of Joining
Dr.K.Sivaprasadcompleted his AMIIM from the Indian Institution of Metals, Calcutta in the year 1999. He holds Master in Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai. He did his doctorate on ‘ Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Gas Tungsten Arc and Electron Beam Welded Alloy 718’ from IIT, Madras. He holds a wide academic experience of 12 years in NIT, Trichy. He has experience as visiting scientist at the University of North Texas, Denton, USA, and as visiting fellow at IIT, Madras, and the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan. He has guided 6 Ph.D. scholars and 1 MS (By Research) scholar so far and presently guiding 7 more Ph.D. scholars and 1 MS scholar (By research). He has 70+ International research publications, 50+ conference publications and has contributed to a book chapter. He has headed several academic and administrative positions and has organized National and international level seminars, workshops, and conferences. He is the reviewer of numerous internationally acclaimed journals in the field of Metallurgy and Material science.
Awards & Achievements
- Recipient of DUO-INDIA Faculty Fellowship for the year 2019-20 from ASEM.
- Recipient of Sir Dorabji Tata – T.R. Anantharaman Faculty Fellowship (SDT-TRA-FF) 2013-2014.
- Invited to participate in Indo-German Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (INDOGFOE) 2010, held during June 24-27 2010, Potsdam, Germany, sponsored by DST, India, and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
- Selected under INAE young faculty mentoring scheme-2009 to work with a fellow of INAE for two months.
- Metallography award, NMD-ATM 2005.
Dr.K.Sivaprasad has his research interest in the mechanical behavior of metallic materials and their weldments, structure-property correlations of various alloys, High-temperature materials (superalloys and intermetallics), studies on welding aspects of novel materials for improved weld properties, the fatigue behavior of metallic materials, wear of composites, cryorolling of Cu and Al-based alloys and their composites. In these research fields, he has worked on projects funded by central organizations like ISRO, DRDO, DST, NRB, and UGC. The total project we carried out work about INR 148 Lakhs.
- Mechanical behavior of metallic materials and their weldments
- Structure-Property correlations of superalloys
- High-temperature materials (superalloys and intermetallics)
- Studies on welding aspects of novel materials for improved weld properties
- Fatigue behavior of metallic materials
- Wear of composites
- Cryorolling of Cu and Al-based alloys and composites
- Associate Dean (Research & Consultancy) October 2012 to November 2015
- Chairman, Class Committee, I year M.Tech. Welding Engg., 2009, 2010
- Chairman, Class Committee, II-year B.Tech., 2011, III-year B.Tech., (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) & IV-year B.Tech., (2017)
- Member, Department Project Evaluation Committee (DPEC), since 2010
- Faculty In-charge, Department Library, Dept of MME, NITT from 2009 to 2011
- Faculty In-charge, Mechanical Testing Lab, Dept of MME, NITT since 2009
- Founder Faculty In-Charge, Advanced Materials Processing Lab, since 2009
Books and Book Chapters
- Book Chapter “Welding of High Entropy Alloys—Techniques, Advantages, and Applications: A Review” by R Sokkalingam, K Sivaprasad and V Muthupandi in “High Entropy Alloys: Innovations, Advances, and Applications” by T.S. Srivatsan and Manoj Gupta, 1st Edition, CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group), 2020.
- Contributed to International Edition, “Mechanical Behavior of Materials”- N.A.Dowling. 2012, Pearson Publications, India.
- Editorial, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, IMME17
- Editorial, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, IMME19
- Editorial, Materials Today Proceedings, IMME17
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Recent Advances in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering (IMME19)”, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (Springer), Vol 73, Issue 6, Pp 1407-1714.
- Member, Syllabus Sub-Committee, Anna University, Chennai, since 2019
- Member, Board of Studies (BoS), Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT-AP), RK Valley, since 2018
- Member, Publications Committee, The Indian Institute of Metals, Kolkata 2015 to date.
- Member, Board of Studies (BoS), Jawaharlal Nehru Technical University (JNTU), Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, since 2016
- Member, Board of Studies (BoS), College of Engineering, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, since 2015
- Elected as Senior Member, Society for Mechanical Engineers Hong Kong, 2016 (SM20160401001)
- The best paper award, “Characterization of Laser Beam Welded Al0.5CoCrFeNi High-Entropy Alloy”, R.Sokkalingam, Sivaprasad, V.Muthupandi, and M.Duraiselvam, in 8th International Conference on Key Engineering Materials (ICKEM 2018), held in Osaka, Japan during March 16-18, 2018.
- Guest Editor, Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Advanced Materials Research, Vol.1148, 2018, Trans Tech Publishers, Switzerland.
- The best paper award, “Microstructure Mechanical Properties of Cu-7%Al alloy produced by ECAP with different routes, M China babu, K Sivaprasad, G Kondaiah, and B Ravisankar, in IMME17, held in Trichy during March 10-12, 2017.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue “Emerging Trends in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering”, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (Springer), Vol 70, Issue 3, Pp 547-892
- Guest Editor, Materials Today Proceedings (Elsevier), Special Issue IMME17, 2018
- Review Panel Member, FONDECYT Regular 2017 project grant competition, Chilean National Science and Technology Commission (CONICYT Chile)
- Review Panel Member, National Science Center (Narodowe Centrum Nauki – NCN), Krakow, Poland. (http://www.ncn.gov.pl), since 2015.
- Session Coordinator, Forming and Casting, NMD-ATM 2015, Coimbatore
- Member, Technical Programme Committee, The 2nd International Conference on Advanced Materials Research and Applications (AMRA2015), December 18-21, 2015, Shenzhen, China
- Session Chair, “Metal Matrix Composite Materials”, International Conference on Advanced Materials, Manufacturing and Applications (AMMA2015), 9—11 April 2015, Dept of Metallurgical & Materials Engg., NIT Trichy, India
- Elected as Member of the Sectional Committee, Section of Materials Science for 2012-13, The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
- Member, International Programme Committee, 3rd International Conference on Advanced Materials and Engineering Materials 2013 (3rd ICAMEM 2013), 14-15th December 2013 in Singapore.
- Session Chair, “Composites”, International Conference on Advances in Design and Manufacturing (ICAD&M), Dept of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli, India, December 5-7, 2014.
- Chaired a session in the International Mechanical Engineering Congress (IMEC-2014) organized by the Dept of Mech. Engg., National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli during 13-15 June 2014.
- International program committee, 3rd International Conference on Advanced Materials and Engineering Materials, Singapore, December 14-15, 2013.
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Composite Materials, Scientific & Academic Publishing
- Advisory Member, Editorial Board, World Research Journal of Applied Physics, Bio info Publications [ISSN: 0976-7673]
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of General Engineering and Technology, IASET, ISSN (Print):2278-9928; ISSN (Online):2278-9936.
- Session Chair, Nano-composites session, 8th International Conference on Composite Science and Technology (ICCST8), 2011, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 22-24, 2011
- Reviewer of the following journals:
Acta Materialia (Elsevier)
Advanced Engineering Materials (Wiley)
Materials Chemistry and Physics (Elsevier)
Metallurgical & Materials Transactions A (Springer)
Materials Science and Engineering A (Elsevier),
Materials Characterization (Elsevier)
Materials and Design (Elsevier)
Journal of Alloys and Compounds (Elsevier),
Journal of Materials Science (Springer),
Journal of Materials Science and Technology (Elsevier),
Tribology International (Elsevier)
Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals (Springer),
International Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy (Springer)
INAE Letters (Springer),
International Journal of Materials Research (formerly: Zeitschrift fuer Metallkunde)
Tribology - Materials, Surfaces & Interfaces,
Journal of Composite Materials (SAGE),
Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences
International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- Delivered an invited lecture on "Welding of HEAs", AICTE sponsored two weeks workshop on RECENT ADVANCES IN MATERIALS AND CHALLENGES IN MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUES", organized by JNTU, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, India, during 22nd March- 3rd April 2021.
- Delivered an invited lecture on “Welding and additive manufacturing of dissimilar joints with high entropy alloys” in the Faculty Development programme on Recent Developments in Design and Manufacturing, organized by NSRIT, Visakhapatnam on 08-09-2020.
- Delivered an invited lecture on “Effect of cryorolling on phase change in steels”, in AICTE Sponsored virtual short-term training program on “Energy storage characteristics, surface treatment, durability, sustainability and microstructural evaluation of smart and phase change materials and its applications”, Sri Sai Ram Institute of Technology, Chennai, 27 July 2020 to 01 August 2020.
- Delivered an invited lecture on “Metal Intermetallic Laminates for Strategic Applications”, in Faculty Development Program on “Novel Lightweight Bulletproof Materials”, Raghu Engineering College, Visakhapatnam, June 03, 2020.
- Delivered an invited lecture on “Smart manufacturing in defence material fabrication”, in Two weeks Faculty Development Programme on “The Role of Smart Materials in Digital Manufacturing and fourth Industrial Revolution (Factories for Future)” organized by KCG College of Technology, Chennai during October 10-23, 2019.
- Delivered a Chief Guest Lecture on “Manufacturing Derived Advanced Materials” at NBKRIT, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- Delivered an invited expert lecture on “Trends in Manufacturing towards the development of advanced structural materials” on 17th November 2019 in a Two-day faculty development programme on “Advances in Manufacturing” organized by Gudlavalleru Engineering College, Gudlavalleru, Andhra Pradesh, during 16-17 November 2018.
- Delivered a Plenary Talk on Advanced Structural Materials for Strategic Applications at International Conference on Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes (ICAMMP 2018) organized by JNTUK Vizianagaram, during March 30-31, 2018.
- Delivered an invited lecture in DRDO- ARMREB sponsored two days National level workshop on Fabrication and Characterization of Advanced Composites (FCAC - 2017), organized by Selvam College of Engineering, Namakkal September 22-23, 2017.
- Delivered an Invited Lecture on “Metal Intermetallic Laminates for High Strain Rate Deformation Applications”, in One Week TEQIP Sponsored Workshop on “Advances in Manufacturing Technology”, from 26th September to 1st October 2016, organized by Dept of Production Engg., National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli.
- Delivered an Invited Lecture on “High-Temperature Materials and Characterization”, in Two Day TEQIP Sponsored Workshop on “High-Temperature Materials, Processing, and Applications”, during 8-9 March 2016, organized by Anna University Tiruchirappalli.
- Delivered an Invited Lecture on “Advanced Materials Through Simple Processing Methods”, in TEQIP-funded National Workshop on Advanced Materials and Processes, organized by College of Engineering, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam during July 2015
- Delivered an Invited Lecture on “CNT reinforced high entropy alloys” in “National Workshop on High Entropy Alloys”, organized by Dept of Metallurgical & Materials Engg., IIT Madras, Chennai, India, 29-30, March 2015
- Lecture on “Electron Microscopy”. Short-term course on Microscopic Techniques in Materials Characterization, October 10, 2014, Dept of MME, NIT Trichy.
- Lecture on “Electron Microscopy”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes (EMMP-2013), December 16-21, 2013
- Lecture on “Mechanical Testing of Materials”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes (EMMP-2013), December 16-21, 2013
- Lecture on “Advanced Materials Processing”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes (EMMP-2013), December 16-21, 2013
- Invited lecture on “Advanced Manufacturing Methods”, Short-term course on “Production Processes for defence applications” during 27-30 May 2013
- Invited lecture on “Materials for Defence Applications”, Short-term course on “Production Processes for defence applications” during 27-30 May 2013
- Lecture on “X-ray diffraction analysis”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Methods (EM3-2012), June 25-30, 2012.
- Lecture on “Electron Microscopy”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Methods (EM3-2012), June 25-30, 2012.
- Lecture on “Mechanical Behavior of Materials”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Methods (EM3-2012), June 25-30, 2012.
- Invited lectures on “synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline and tri-modal Al-CNT nanocomposites and”, Two days workshop on “Recent trends in composite materials and its processing” October 7-8, 2011, KPR Institute of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore, India.
- Invited Lectures on “synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline and trimodal Al6061-TiO2 nanocomposites”, AICTE sponsored SDP on “Recent Advancements in Nanotechnology and its Applications – RAINTA’11”, October 19 – November 02, 2011, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry, India.
- Invited lecture on “Nanocomposites: Synthesis and fabrication by novel routes”, Universiti Technology Mara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 25, 2011
- Invited lecture on “Cryorolling: an overview”, The Institute of Engineers, Tiruchirappalli Chapter, August 04, 2010.
- Invited lecture on “Advanced High-Temperature Materials and Thermal Barrier Coatings”, AICTE-QIP program on Advanced Materials and Processing”, June 1-15, 2009, organized by Dept of MME, NIT Trichy, India
- Lecture on “Introduction to Smart Processing of Materials”, AICTE-QIP short-term course on Smart Processing of Materials”, August 10-14, 2009, organized by Dept of MME, NIT Trichy, India
- Invited lecture on “High-Temperature Materials – An overview”, AICTE-QIP program on Metallurgy and Materials”, February 11-15, 2008, organized by Dept of MME, NIT Trichy, India
- “Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al - 3Mg - 0.25 Sc alloy sheets produced by Cryorolling”, S. Vigneshwaran, Sivaprasad, R. Narayanasamy K. Venkateswarlu, Materials Science and Engineering A, 740-741, 2019, 49-62. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2018.10.044) ISSN: 0921-5093.
- “Nucleation and growth of TiAl3 intermetallic phase in diffusion bonded Ti/Al Metal Intermetallic Laminate”, N. Thiyaneshwaran, Sivaprasad, B.Ravisankar, Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group) 8, Article Number: 16797 (2018), (DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-35247-0) ISSN 2045-2322.
- Formability and Fracture Behaviour of Cryorolled Al-3 Mg-0.25 Sc Alloy”, S. Vigneshwaran, Sivaprasad, R. Narayanasamy K. Venkateswarlu, Materials Science and Engineering A, 721, 2018, 14-21. (DOI.org/10.1016/j.msea.2018.02.072) ISSN: 0921-5093.
- “Work hardening behavior of Ti/Al-based metal intermetallic laminates”, N. Thiyaneshwaran, Sivaprasad, B. Ravisankar, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 93 (1-4), 2017, 361-374. (DOI:10.1007/s00170-016-8863-2) (SCI) ISSN: 0268-3768.
- “Mechanical Behavior and Void Coalescence Analysis of Cryorolled AA8090 Alloy”, K.S.V.B.R. Krishna, S. Vigneshwaran, K. Chandra Sekhar, Sarma S. R. Akella, Sivaprasad , R. Narayanasamy, K. Venkateswarlu, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 93 (1-4), 2017, 253-259. ISSN: 0268-3768