- Departments / Centres
The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (formerly, the Department of Humanities) has been in existence since 2004. This top-ranked Department among the NITs is known for independent interdisciplinary research and for a dynamic collaboration between faculty and students. To meet the existing demands of industry, business, public and private organizations, academic and human services, the Department has constantly striven for a practical curriculum with a high degree of professional relevance, enabling students to face real time challenges. Accordingly, the Department has been offering a wide range of core and elective courses to undergraduates and graduates. The Department has been offering a full-fledged Ph.D. program since 2004 and has produced quality research work in newer areas of Humanities and Social Sciences. Recognizing the growing demand for humanities-based courses, the Department also offers Minor Degree Courses in Economics and in Language/Literature.
The department has been offering MA English (Language and Literature) programme from the academic year 2020-21.
• To provide a comprehensive education in English Language and Literature, tracing its history and development through state-of-the-art pedagogy and research.
• To enrich students’ understanding of English Language and Literature.
• To develop communication, critical thinking, and research skills.
• To prepare students for successful careers and a lifelong appreciation of learning.
• To instill ethical values, principles, and practices.