Dr. G. Thavasi Raja
- B.E. (1998 - 2002) in ECE with First Class from MEPCO Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University, TN, India.
- M.E. (2002 - 2004) in Comm. Systems with Distinction from Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai affiliated to Anna University, TN, India.
- M.B.A. (2007 - 2009) in HRM with First Class from Directorate of Distance Education, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, TN, India.
- Ph.D. (2012 - 2016) from Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of ECE, National Institute of Technology, Trichy - 620015, India (Sep. 2022 - Till date).
- Assistant Professor (Grade I), Dept. of ECE, National Institute of Technology, Trichy - 620015, India (Mar. 2018 - Sep. 2022).
- Research Fellow (On duty under AICTE-QIP scheme), Department of E&ECE, IIT, Kharagpur, India. (Jul. 2012 - Jul. 2015).
- Assistant Professor (Grade II), Dept. of ECE, National Institute of Technology, Trichy - 620015, India (Jun. 2006 - Feb. 2018).
- Lecturer, Dept. of ECE, SSN College of Engineering (SSN Institutions), Chennai - 603110, India (Sep. 2004 - May 2006).
- Lecturer, Dept. of ECE, SRM Engineering College (SRM Institute), Chennai - 603203, India (Jun. 2004 - Aug. 2004).
Research Areas of Interest
- Photonic Devices for Communications
- Fiber Optics & Photonic Waveguides
- Photonic Integrated Circuits for AI applications
- Machine Learning for Design of Photonic Devices
- Multi-purpose Photonic Integrated Circuits
- Reconfigurable and Programmable Photonics
- Optical & Fiber Optic Sensors
- Optical Wireless communications
- IoT & Smart Sensors
Awards / Fellowships / Research Projects / Honours
- AICTE-QIP Ph.D. Fellowship (2012-2015) at IIT Kharagpur.
- NITT Faculty Award for Sponsored Research Projects
- Principal Investigator for Projects
- "Highly-Compact Very Large Mode-Area Hybrid Multi-Trench Optical Fiber for High-Power Industrial Lasing Applications" under Core Research Grant (2017-2020) funded by SERB, New Delhi. (Value: INR 20.89 lakhs) - Completed.
- "Reconfigurable and Multifunctional Nanophotonic Interconnects for High-speed Communication" under Core Research Grant (2022-2025) funded by SERB, New Delhi. (Value: INR 25.10 lakhs) - Ongoing.
- Co-Principal Investigator for Projects
- "Self-Energised UAV-Assisted Communicationns for 5G Wireless Networks" under Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC) funded by Minstry of Education, New Delhi. (Value: INR 73.23 lakhs, Principal Investigator: Dr. P. Muthuchidambaranathan, Co-PIs: Dr. G. Lakshminarayanan, Dr. G. Thavasi Raja) - Ongoing.
- "Technology Development Proposals on Passive Components" under STIC-NITT cell funded by ISRO. (Value: INR 27.30 lakhs, Principal Investigator: Dr. R. Pandeeswari, Co-PIs: Dr. S. Deivalakshmi, Dr. S. S. Karthikeyan, Dr. G. Thavasi Raja) - Ongoing.
Supervision of Ph.D.
Ph.D. Awarded: 3
Sl. No. Name of the Scholar Category Area of Research Status
1. Dr. N. Ayyanar Project (PT) Fiber Optic Devices Completed (2017 - 2020)
2. Dr. D. Balaji Institute (FT) Wireless Digital Communication Completed (2016 - 2021)
3. Dr. R. Rajasekar Institute (FT) Photonic Crystal Waveguides Completed (2019 - 2022)
4. Mr. G. Girish Kumar NITT-Staff (PT) Communication Networks Comprehensive Exam Completed (2020 - )
5. Mr. C. Gunasekaran External - PT (IAF) Fiber Optic Devices Coursework in progress (2022 - )
6. Ms. Solagudi Navya External - PT (On campus) Wireless Sensor Networks Coursework Completed (2022 - )
1. Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Institute (FT) Photonic Waveguides Completed (2017 - 2023)
Supervision of M.S. (By Research)
1. Mr. C. Gunasekaran Part Time (IAF) Fiber Optic Devices Completed (2017 - 2021)
- Coordinator, Department (U.G.) NBA Committee (2022 - 2023)
- Coordinator, Department Time-Table Committee (2023 - 2024)
- Faculty In-charge, Photonics and Communication Research Laboratory & Digital Electronics Laboratory
- Verification Officer, B.Tech Admission (JoSAA 2020, 2021, 2022), NIT Trichy
- Faculty Advisor, Sociology & Civics Students Club (2021 - Till date)
- PAC Chairman, IV Year B.Tech. ECE (Jan. 2021, 2022, 2023)
- Warden, Zircon A, B, & C Hostels and Mega Mess - I (Jul. 2016 - Jan. 2020)
- Member, Department M.S./Ph.D. Admission Committee (2016 - 2017, 2019 - 2022)
- Member, Sophisticated Instrumentation Facility (SIF) Advisory Committee, Safety and Security Advisory Committee & Horticulture Advisory Committee (Jan. 2020 - Mar. 2023)
- Stock Veriifcation Officer, Security Office (2020, 2021, 2022), NIT Trichy
- Member, Convocation committee (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Purchase Initiator, Procurement of TLP Laptops for ECE Faculties, 2018
- Purchase Initiator, Procurement and Installation of 500 LPH RO Water Plants for Boys and Ladies Hostels, 2018
- Reviewer for DST-SERB Projects proposals
- Reviewer for various International and National journals (IEEE Sensors journal, IEEE Communication Letters, Elsevier Optical Fiber Technology and Optics Communications, Springer Optical & Quantum Electronics and Photonic Sensors, SPIE Optical Engineering, IETE Journal of Research)
- Golden list of Reviewers for IETE Journal of Research, 2021
- Member, Doctoral Committee (DC), Anna University, Chennai & Deemed Universities
- TPC Member, National Conference on Communications (NCC) 2018, 2020, IEEE Globecom 2022
- Member, Inspection Committee, Centre for Affiliation, Anna University, Chennai
- Handled UG level Therory courses for IIIT, Trichy
Guest Lectures Delivered/ Short Term Courses Organized
- Keynote speaker for 7th National Conference on Information and Communication Technology (NCICT-2022) conducted on 24th February, 2022 at Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering (SSNCE), Chennai.
- Delivered lecture on "Photonic Devices for Communication, Sensing and Industrial Applications" in the webniar held on 28th October, 2021 organised by SPIE student chapter, IIT (ISM) Dhanbad.
- Guest Speaker for Workshop on “Photonics” held during 28-29, June, 2021 organised by Department of ECE, K.S.R.M. College of Engineering, Kadapa in association with IEEE Photonics Society, Bangalore Chapter.
- Guest lecture on 'Photonic Devices for Communications' in the webniar held on 31st May, 2021 organized by Dept. of ECE, Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering and Technology, Pollachi.
- Keynote speaker for the 'International Conference on Recent Trends in Automation, Signal Processing and Energy System (ICASE2020)' conducted during 19th – 20th June, 2020 at Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education, Krishnankoil.
- Resource Person for 'ATAL Sponsored Online Faculty Development Program on PHOTONICS' held from 08-02-2021 to 12-02-2021 at KKR & KSR Institute of Technology & Sciences, Guntur.
- Guest lecture on 'Applications of Speciality Optical Fibers' in the webinar held on 26th June, 2020 organized by Dept. of ECE, Mount Zion College of Engineering and Technology, Pudukkottai.
- Keynote address delivered in 'AICTE Sponsored Faculty Development Programme on Research Challenges in Optical Networks, WDM Networks, Sensor Networks & Unparalleled Communication Speed in the Future: A Scalable Approach' held on 16th Nov, 2020 organized by Dept. of ECE, Ramachandra College of Engineering, Eluru.
- Guest lecture on 'Photonic Integrated Circuits' in the webinar held on 25th May, 2020 at RMK College of Engineering and Technology, Thiruvallur.
- Co-coordinator for Self-supported Pre-workshop on 'Machine learning, Deep learning and Computational Intelligence for Wireless Communication' held during 16th-20th September, 2019 in the Department of ECE at NIT, Trichy.
- Coordinator for Self-supported Short Term course on 'CAD BASED MODELLING OF OPTICAL FIBERS AND PHOTONIC DEVICES FOR COMMUNICATION, SENSING, AND INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS' held during 10th-14th June, 2019 in the Department of ECE at NIT, Trichy.
- Coordinator for Self-supported Short Term course on 'Communication Techniques and Antenna Design' held during 6th-10th Jan., 2020 in the Department of ECE at NIT, Trichy.
Professional Society Membership
- Senior Member, IEEE (Communications & Photonics)
- Member, OSI, OSA & SPIE
- Life Member, IEI & IETE
Visits Abroad for Paper Presentation
- IEEE Photonics Conference (IPC 2017), CREOL, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, USA
- IEEE International Power Engineering Conference (IPEC 2007), NTU, Singapore
Dr. G. Thavasi Raja
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
National Institute of Technology (NIT)
Tiruchirappalli - 620 015, Tamil Nadu
Room #118, Ground Floor, Silver Jubilee Building (SJB)
Ph. No. 0431-2503317
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org