TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING - I
- Introduction to transportation systems – Highway development and planning- Highway alignment- Geometric standards for different types of roads - Sight distance - Horizontal and vertical curves.
- Pavement materials – specifications and tests - Pavement Design – Design elements and loads - Design of Flexible and Rigid Pavements- Pavement Construction and maintenance.
- Characteristics of traffic elements - road user, vehicle and highway - Driver characteristics - vision and reaction time - Vehicle dimensions - Roadway aspects - Skidding - Other road users - Cyclists and pedestrians - Concept of capacity.
- Traffic studies – volume - Manual and automatic methods of data collection - Speed studies - Travel time and delay studies - Parking studies - Road accidents.
- Traffic regulations and control – Intersections Design – Highway economics and Financing - Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Khanna and Justo, Highway Engineering, Nemchand and Bros 1994.
- Sharma, S.K. Principle, Practice and Design of Highway Engineering, S. Chand and Co., 1985.
- Kadiyali, Principles of Highway Engineering, Khanna Publishers 1992.