MECHANICS OF FLUIDS - II
- Uniform flow- source - sink- doublet – combination of flow patterns - uniform flow around a source - flow around cylinder - flow with circulation - lift.
- Boundary layer - displacement and momentum thickness - development of flow in circular pipes - Von Karman momentum equation - Laminar and turbulent boundary layers on flat plates - Drag in flat plates, cylinders and spheres - Drag coefficients - Boundary layer control.
- Open Channel Flow - Classification - Terminology - velocity distribution in open channels - Chezy, Manning and other formulae - Best hydraulic section - specific energy - specific force - hydraulic jump and its characteristics - Gradually varied flow - computation of surface profiles.
- Velocity measurement with Pitot tube, Prandtl Pitot tube and current meter - discharge measurement in pipe flow - Venturimeter, orificemeter, nozzlemeter, bendmeter and rotameter - discharge measurement in open channel flow - All types of notches and weirs, venturiflume - critical depth meter - basic principles.
- Introduction to CFD Dimensional homogeneity - dimensional analysis - Rayleigh`s method - Buckingham Pi theorem - applications - significance of dimensionless numbers - Model study and similitude - scale effect and distorted models.
- Streeter, V.L. Fluid Mechanics, Tata McGraw Hill, 1975.
- Chow, V.T. Open Channel Hydraulics, Tata McGraw Hill, 1975.
- Nagaratnam, S. Fluid Mechanics, Khanna Publishers, 1989.