FACULTY MEMBER :Prof.J.Sarath Chandra Babu
OBJECTIVE : This course is designed to give conceptual understanding on characterization of particulates, and processes associated with particulate material and synthesis methods to produce particulates of different quality in addition with a brief introduction on handling methods.
1. CHARACTERISTICS OF PARTICULATE MATERIAL
Properties and characterisation of particulate solids, analysis and technical methods for size and surface area distribution of powder; Flow properties of particulates.
2. SYNTHESIS METHODS
Introduction to synthesis of composite material by spray technique, aerosol generation, Introduction to size reduction equipment, energy and power requirement in milling operations, computer simulation techniques for mill performance.
3. PARTICULATE PROCESSES
Gas-liquid separation methods, Classification by size, agitation of liquids and mixing of solids, Fluidization, encapsulation etc.
4. HANDLING OF PARTICULATE MATERIAL
Conveying methods, Storage methods and design of silo, selection of feeders and elevators.
1. Mc Cabe and J.C .Smith," Unit Operation of Chemical Engineering", 5th Edn., McGraw Hill., New York, 1993.
2. M. Coulson and J.F .Richardson, "Chemical Engineering", Vol. II, 4th Edn., Butterworth - Heinemann, 1991
1. Raymond A. Kulweic, "Materials Handling Handbook", 2nd Edn, Wiley-Interscience Publications, 1985.
2. Badger and Banchero, "Introduction to Chemical Engineering", 1st Edn., McGraw Hill, NewYork, 1954