FACULTY MEMBER : Prof.P. SHUNMUGASUNDARAM
Deals with various properties and structures of engineering materials including corrosion and uses of the materials in the chemical industries.
1. ATOMIC BONDING:
Classes of engineering materials - engineering requirement of materials - selection of materials - structure of atoms and molecules - Bonding in solids - types of bonds and comparison of bonds.
2. STRUCTURE AND IMPERFECTIONS IN MATERIALS:
Structure And Imperfections in Crystals: Crystal structure Crystal geometry, structure of solids, methods of determining structures. Imperfection in crystals - types of imperfection . Point imperfection, diffusion in solids-self diffusion Fick’s law, self diffusion. Applications of diffusion
3. PROPERTIES AND CORROSION OF MATERIAL:
Mechanical, Electrical and magnetic properties of materials- Deformation of materials- Heat Treatment techniques -corrosion, theories of corrosion - control and prevention of corrosion.
Engineering materials - ferrous metals - Iron and their alloys Iron and steel Iron carbon equilibrium diagram. Non ferrous metals and alloys - Aluminium, copper, ,Zinc, lead, Nickel and their alloys with reference to the application in chemical industries.
5. NON METALS:
Inorganic materials: Ceramics, Glass and refractories-organic materials: wood, plastics, and rubber and wood with special reference to the applications in chemical Industries.
1. Lawrence H. Van Vlack, "Elements of Material Science and Engineering", 1971.
2. S. K. Hajra Choudhury, "Material Science and processes", 1st Edn. , 1977. Indian Book Distribution Co., Calcutta.
1. V. Raghavan, Materials Science and Engineering, Prentice Hall