FACULTY MEMBER:- Dr. N. ANANTHARAMAN
OBJECTIVE : To make a process flow sheet with mass and energy balances.
Introduction- Units and Dimensions - stochiometric principles-composition relations, density and specific gravity.
2. IDEAL GASES AND VAPOR PRESSURE:
Behaviors of Ideal gases -kinetic theory of gases - application of ideal gas law- gaseous mixtures - volume changes with change in composition. Vapor pressure- effect of Temperature on vapor pressure-vapor pressure plots-vapor pressure of immiscible liquids-solutions.
3. HUMIDITY AND SOLUBILITY:
Humidity - saturation - vaporization - condensation - wet and dry bulb thermometry Solubility and Crystallization-Dissolution -solubility of gases.
4. MATERIAL BALANCE:
: Material Balance - Processes involving chemical reaction - Combustion of coal, fuel gases and sulphur-Recycling operations - bypassing streams - Degree of conversion -excess reactant - limiting reactant
5. ENERGY BALANCE:
Thermo chemistry - Hess's law of summation - heat of formation, reaction, combustion and mixing - mean specific heat -Theoretical flame Temperature.
1. O.A.Hougen, K. M. Watson and R. A. Ragatz,"Chemical Process Principles", Vol-I,CBS Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 1995.
2. D. Himmelblau, '"Basic Principles and Calculations in Chemical Engineering", 5th Edn.,Prentice Hall of India Ltd.,N.Delhi,1994.
1. B.I.Bhatt and S.M.Vora, "Stoichiometry", Tata McGraw Hill Publishers Ltd., New Delhi, 1996.
2. V.Venkataramani and N.Anantharaman,"Process Calculations",Prentice Hall of India Ltd.,N.Delhi,2003.