Objective : To introduce the nature and characteristics of modern day computers.
Pre- requisites: Knowledge of fundamentals of Digital Computers.
1. Number Systems - Binary Arithmetic - Boolean Algebra - Map Simplifications - Gates - Combinational Circuits - Sequential Circuits.
2. Memory - Internal Memory - External Memory - Memory Organization - Associative Memory - Cache Memory.
3. CPU - Arithmetic And Logic Unit - Instruction Sets - Addressing modes and formats - Instruction pipeline - Register organization - Control Unit Operation - Processor organization - Types of Processors.
4. External Devices - I/O modules - Programmed I/O - Interrupt Driven - Direct Memory Access - I/O Channels - Asynchronous Data Transfer.
5. Reduced Instruction Set Computers –Super Scalar Processors – Multiprocessing vector computation - Parallel Processors.
1. William Stallings, "Computer Organization and Architecture", 7th Edn. 2006, PHI.
2. M. Moris Mano and Michael D. Ciletti, Digital Design, 4th Edn. 2007, Pearson.