- Departments / Centres
PH101: Engineering Physics I
PH102: Engineering Physics II
M. Sc (Applied Physics):
PH 655: THERMODYNAMICS AND STASTICAL PHYSICS
PH 654: QUANTUM MECHANICS
The purpose of this course is to provide a framework for master students to understand at an advanced level some of the most important aspects of quantum mechanics and its applications. Relevant basics and formulation of quantum mechanics using wave mechanics approach will be introduced and used throughout the course to solve varities of problems. The concept of angular momentum and spin will be developed in detail. The approximation methods such as perturbation and variational methods will be introduced. Making use of these methods, we will study various exactly solvable problems.
Course duration: The above described course will be covered in 40 hrs, excluding seminor hours.
2. J.J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, Addison-Wesley (1999).
3. Linus Pauling, Introduction to Quantum mechanics, McHraw-Hill (1935).
4. Bohm, Quantum Mechanics: Foundations and Applications, Springer-Verlag (1979).
5. I. V. Savelyev, Fundamentals of Theoretical Physics, Vol 2, Mir Publishers, Moscow (1982).
6. Internet sources and e-books - details will be given during the course.....
Grades will be awared based on the relative performance comprising of follwoing weightages:
I cycle test 20%
II cycle test 20%
Final sem exam 50%