Dr. B. Ravisankar
- Ph.D.(Metallurgical Engineering),Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
- M.E.(Production Engineering),Madras Institute of Technology,Anna University Campus, Madras
- B.E.(Metallurgical Engineering), Govt. College of Engineering, Salem
- Mechanical Behavior & Metal Forming
- Teaching, Research & Consultancy - 24 years
Areas of Research/Interest
- Mechanical Behavior & Metal Forming
- Severe Plastic Deformation - Equal Channel Angular Pressing
- Diffusion Bonding
Co-ordinator for the AICTE sponsored R&D project on " Diffusion bonding in superalloys", Rs 7 lakhs;1999-2001. This project had been graded
"A" (Excellent) during the annual monitoring exercise.
- Co-Coordinator for the CASSA,DRDO sponsored project on "Reliability studies relating to failure of aluminium 7075 alloy used in aerospace applications", Rs 1.5 lakhs: 1999-2000.
- Guide for the student project "Analysis of diffusion bonding by FEM" sponsored by Tamil Nadu State Council for Science & Technology,2000-2001, Rs 8000.
- Co-Cordinator for the AR&DB sponsored R & D project on " Development of Diffusion Bonding of (i) Ti-6Al-4V with Ti-6Al-4V, (ii) INCO 718 with INCO 718 and (iii) Ti-6Al-4V with INCO 718", Rs 8.8 lakhs, 2002-2004.
- Co-ordinator for the AICTE sponsored R&D project on " Development of Diffusion bonding of Ti-6Al-4V with a nickel based superalloy IN 718", Rs 7 lakhs; 2003-2005.
- Co-ordinator for the DRDO sponsored project on " Deformation Studies of Armour Steel under Medium Strain Rates", Rs 16.13 lakhs ; 2003 - 2005.
- Co-ordinator for the IISU-ISRO, Trivandrum sponsored project on "Requirement and specifications for the development and realisation of bonding of INVAR with magnetic materials using vacuum diffusion bonding technology", Rs 4.5 lakhs ; 2003 –2005
- Co-ordinator for the DRDO sponsored project on " Manufacture Of Hollow Cylinder In YBCO By Hot Pressing under Superplastic Condition", Rs 14.9 lakhs ; 2006 – 2008
- Co-Co ordinator for the ARDB sponsored project on “ Development of Ultrasonic Method for Assuring Reliability of Components Manufactured by Diffusion Bonding” Rs 43.775 lakhs; 2007-2010.
- Co -Co ordinator for the DST sponsored project on “Development of Iron based Multicomponent and Nanodispersed Bulk Metallic Glasses through Mechanical Alloying for Industrial Applications ", Rs 24.7 lakhs ; 2007 – 2010.
- Co-ordinator for the DRDO sponsored project on "Development of nanostructured and bimodal nanostructured Aluminium alloys by Severe Plastic Deformation (SPD)”, Rs 25.85 lakhs ; 2008 – 2011.
- Co-PI for the Navel Research Board (NRB) sponsored project on “ Friction stir processing of similar and Dissimilar Fusion Welds of Aluminium alloys used in Naval applications”, Rs 13.056 lakhs ; 2008-2010.
- PI for the Net working project under UGC NETWORKING RESOURCE CENTRE FOR MATERIALS, Department of Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Rs 0.8 lakhs. Networking partner: Dr. SATYAM SUWAS, Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore- 560 012
- Co-PI for the DRDO sponsored project on “Development of light weight in situ Metal Intermetallic Laminates for Defence Applications ", Rs 56.15lakhs; 2011-2014
- PI for the project to DST on “Consolidation of mechanically alloyed 5083 aluminium nano composites by equal channel angular pressing (ECAP)”, Rs 35 lakhs; 2012-2015.
- Co-PI for the DST project on “ Development of nano structured magnesium silicide thermo electric materials by spark plasma sintering and evaluation of electric power generation from thermal system” Rs 12 lakhs; 2015-2018
Total Value Rs: 271.241 lakhs
Paper Publications/ Conferences attended /Research Projects
Technical papers published - details
- B.Ravisankar and K.A.Padmanabhan "On the hot pressing of YBa2Cu3O7-x" - Journal of Material Science Letters,Vol. 14 (1995), pp1777 - 1780.
- B.Ravisankar, S S Ramakrishnan and P C Angelo " On Diffusion Bonding of Ti-6Al-4V" - Trans.IIM, V 55 (2003), N 3, pp 105-114.
- B.Ravisankar and Joong Keun Park " ECAP of Commercially Pure Titanium: A Review" - Trans.IIM - V 61 (2008), N 1, pp 1 - 11.
- B.Ravisankar, J.Krishnamoorthi, S S Ramakrishnan and P C Angelo, “ Diffusion bonding of SU 263”. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2 0 9 ( 2 0 0 9 ) 2135–2144
- B.Prabha, P.Sundaramoorthy, S.Suresh, S.Manimozhi, B.Ravisankar, “Studies on Stress-corrosion cracking of super 304H Austenitic stainless steel” Journal of Materials Engineering Performance, ASM International (Available on line)
- D. Devaiah, P. Venkatachalam, S. Ramesh Kumar and B. Ravisankar, “Effect of Two Directional Cold and Cryo Rolling on Mechanical Properties of 5083 Al Alloy” International Journal of Materials Science, Vol 5 (1) 2010 17-22
- P. Venkatachalam, B. Ravisankar and S. Kumaran, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of 2014 Al alloy processed by equal channel angular pressing (ECAP)” Int. J. Microstructure and Materials Properties, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2010 88-100.
- Devaiah Doppalapudi, P.Venkatachalam, S.Ramesh Kumar, B.Ravisankar and K.Jayashankar, “Improving the mechanical properties of 2024 al alloy by cryo rolling” Trans IIM, V 63, Issue 1, February 2010 pp 31-34.
- S.Jerome, B.Ravisankar and S.Natarajan, “Synthesis and evaluation of mechanical and high temperature tribological properties of in-situ al-TiC composites” Tribology International, V43, 2010, pp 2029-2036.
- P. Venkatachalam, S.Ramesh Kumar, B. Ravisankar, V. Thomas Paul and M. Vijayalakshmi, “Investigations on the Effect of Processing Routes on Microstructure and Mechanical properties of 2014 Al alloy processed by Equal Channel Angular Pressing (ECAP)” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China (Accepted).
- Meenu Srivastava, J.N.Balaraju, B.Ravisankar, K.S.Rajam, “Improvement in the properties of nickel by nano-Cr2O3 incorporation" Surface and Coatings Technology, V 205, (2010), pp 66–75.
- Ramu Yarra, P.Venkatachalam, S.Ramesh Kumar, B.Ravisankar, K.Jayasankar and P.S. Mukherjee, “Densification Of Al-Y2o3 Composite Powder By Equal Channel Angular Pressing” Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals, V 63 2010, pp. 813 - 817
- Ramesh Kumar S, Kondiah Gudimetla, P.Venkatachalam and B.Ravisankar, “ Stress corrosion cracking of Al 7075 alloy processed by equal channel angular pressing”, International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, V 2 No 12, 2010 pp 53-61.
- K.Manikanda Subramanian P.Chandramohan and B.Ravisankar, ”Influence of texture on the mechanical properties of hot rolled duplex stainless steels” Trans IIM, V 64, Issue 6, 2012 pp 519-534.
- P. Venkatachalam, Shibayan Roy, B.Ravisankar, V. Thomas Paul,M. Vijayalakshmi,Satyam Suwas, “Texture Evolution in an Al-Cu alloy during Equal Channel Angular Pressing: The effect of Starting Microstructure”- Accepted in Journal of Materials Science
- S.Ramesh Kumar and B.Ravisankar, “Scaling Up of Equal Channel Angular Pressing Simulation Using Deform 3D”- International Journal of Advances in Science and Technology, Vol 2, Num 4, April 2011 pp 88-95
- M. S. Senthil Saravanan, S. P. Kumaresh Babu,K. Sivaprasad,B. Ravisankar, P. Susila and B.S.Murty, “Consolidation of CNT-reinforced AA4032 nanocomposites by ECAP” International Journal of Nanoscience Vol. 10, No. 1 & 2 (2011) pp 233-236.
- S. Jerome, Ashish Kumar, S. P. Kumaresh Babu and B. Ravisankar, “Studies on Mechanical Properties and Wear Behaviour of in situ Al-TiC Composites”, Advanced Materials Research Vols. 328-330 (2011) pp 1654-1658.
- Ramesh Kumar S, Kondaiah Gudimetla, Venketachalam P, Ravisankar B, Jayasankar K, “Microstructural and Mechanical Properties of Al 7075 alloy processed by Equal Channel Angular Pressing”- Materials Science and Engineering A Vol.A 533 (2012) pp. 50– 54
- Perumal Venkatachalam Shibayan Roy, V. Thomas Paul, M. Vijayalakshmi, Balasubramanian Ravisankar and Satyam Suwas, “The Role of Processing Routes on the evolution of Microstructure and Texture Heterogeneity during ECAP of Al-Cu Alloy” Materials Science Forum Vols. 702-703 (2011) pp 113-118.
- Nishtha Gupta , S.Ramesh Kumar , B.Ravisankar and S.Kumaran, “Consolidation of Al-2024 Powder by Conventional P/M Route and ECAP – A Comparative Study” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology Vol. 61 (2012) PP 1067-1070.
- Perumal Venkatachalam Shibayan Roy, V. Thomas Paul, M. Vijayalakshmi, Balasubramanian Ravisankar and Satyam Suwas , “Effect of processing routes on the evolution of texture heterogeneity in 2014 Aluminium alloy deformed by equal channel angular pressing (ECAP)” Accepted in Materials Science and Technology, Appeared or available online: 11 May 2012 DOI: 10.1179/1743284712Y.0000000045
- Nishtha Gupta, B.Ravisankar, S.Kumaran and T.Srinivasa Rao, “Densification of Al-2024 and Al-2024/Al2O3 Powders by Conventional P/M Route and ECAP – A comparative study” Trans. IIM Volume 65, Issue 4 (2012), Page 381-386.
- J.Krishnamoorthi , V.Balusamy, P C Angelo, R.Vinothkumar, and B.Ravisankar” Diffusion Bonding of Ti-6Al-4V alloy with Inconel 718” European Journal of Scientific Research Vol.83 No.2 (2012), pp.221-229.
- Meenu Srivastava, J.N. Balaraju, B. Ravisankar, C. Anandan,and V.K. William Grips, “High temperature oxidation and corrosion behaviour of Ni/Ni–Co–Al composite coatings” Applied Surface Science, Vol 263 (2012) pp 597-607.
- Meenu Srivastava, J.N. Balaraju, B. Ravisankar, and V.K. William Grips, “Comparison in the Oxidation and Corrosion Behavior of Aluminum and Alumina-Reinforced Ni/Ni-Co Alloy Coatings” METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A, VOLUME 44A, FEBRUARY 2013,pp 696- 707
- P.M.Ajith, P.Sathiya , KondaiahGudimetla and B.Ravishankar , “Mechanical, Metallurgical Characteristics and Corrosion Properties of Equal Channel Angular Pressing of Duplex Stainless Steel”, Advanced Materials Research Vol. 717 (2013) pp 9-14
- Ramesh Kumar S, Ravisankar B , Sathya P, Thomas Paul V, and Vijayalakshmi M,” Equal Channel Angular Pressing of an Aluminium Magnesium Alloy at Room Temperature”, Trans IIM Volume 67, Issue 4 (2014), Page 477-484
- S. Surendarnath, K. Sankaranarayanasamy, B. Ravisankar “ Workability study on 99.04 % pure aluminum processed by ECAP” Materials and Manufacturing processes. (Accepted)
- S. Suresh Kumar and B. Ravisankar, “Evaluation of Quality Diffusion Bonding in Similar Material (Cu/Cu) Using Ultrasonic ‘C’ Scan Testing Method” Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 592-594 (2014) pp 289-293.
- Pravir Polly, K.Chandra Sekhar, B.Ravisankar, S.Kumaran, “DENSIFICATION OF MECHANICALLY ALLOYED Al5083 -5wt% Y2O3 NANO-COMPOSITE BY EQUAL CHANNEL ANGULAR PRESSING”,Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 592-594 (2014) pp 963-967
- Kondaiah Gudimetla, B Chaithanyakrushn, K Chandra Sekhar, B Ravisankar and S Kumaran, “Densification and Consolidation of Al 5083 Alloy Powder by Equal Channel Angular Pressing, Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 592-594 (2014) pp 112-116
- A.T.Vijayashakthivel, T.N.Srikanths Dath, B.Ravisankar, “Influence of experimental environment on the enhancement of ultra fine grain structure with optimum ductility of equal channel angular pressed copper, Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 592-594 (2014) pp 410-415.
- S. Surendarnath, K. Sankaranarayanasamy, and B. Ravisankar, “A Comparative Study of Commercially Pure Aluminum Processed by ECAP Using Conventional and New Die”, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 29 (2014) pp- 1172–1178.
- Avik Kumar Mahata, Utpal Borah, Arvinth Davinci, Shaju K. Albert and B. Ravishankar, “Room Temperature Torsional Behavior of 15-Cr-15Ni Titanium Modified Austenitic Stainless Steel”,Procedia Engineering 86 ( 2014 ) 166 – 172.
- M. Selvakumar, P. Chandrasekar, M. Mohanraj, B. Ravisankar , J.N. Balaraju , “Role of powder metallurgical processing and TiB reinforcement on mechanical response of Ti–TiB composites” Materials Letters 144 (2015) 58–61.
- M. Selvakumar,P. Chandrasekar, B. Ravisankar, J. N. Balaraju, and M. Mohanraj, “Mechanical properties of titanium–titanium boride Composites through nanoindentation and ultrasonic techniques - An evaluation perspective”Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 53, Nos. 9-10, January, 2015 557-565.
- Meenu Srivastava, Siju, J.N. Balaraju, and B. Ravisankar, “Development and High Temperature Property Evaluation of Ni-Co-Cr-Al Composite Electroforms” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (online) DOI: 10.1007/s11665-015-1477-2
- S.Vigneshwaran, P.Venkatachalam, P. Rajesh, S. Kumaran and B. Ravisankar, “ Densification of machined CP Al chips by Equal Channel Angular Pressing (ECAP)”, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research ISSN 0973-4562 Volume 10, Number 8 (2015) 6006-6010
- G.Kondaiah, K.Chandra Sekhar, B.Chaitanyakrushna, B.Ravisankar and S.Kumaran, “Characterization of Mechanically Alloyed Al5083 Alloy and Composite and Consolidation by Equal Channel Angular Pressing”, Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols 764-765 (2015) pp 23-27.
- G.Kondaiah, K.Chandra Sekhar, B.Chaitanyakrushna, B.Ravisankar and S.Kumaran,Densification of Al 5083 Mechanically Alloyed Powder by Equal Channel Angular PressingTransactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, Published on line ; DOI 10.1007/s12666-015-0557-
- Kondaiah Gudimetla, Ganesh Varma Jampana, S Ramesh Kumar,B Ravisankar and S Kumaran, Effect of Equal Channel Angular Pressing on Densification Behavior of Al 5083 Alloy Powder, Materials Science Forum Vols. 830-831 (2015) pp 63-66
- Balaraju J N, Abhinav, vinodkumar Lokre, Kumar and B.Ravisankar, “Hardness and Wear Behavior of Electroless Ni-B Coatings”, Materials Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1080/02670836.2015.1137683. ISSN: 1005-0302
Chandra Sekhar Kondaveeti ,Sai Prakash Sunkavalli, Durgarao Undi, L.V.Hanuma kumar, Kondaiah Gudimetla, Balasubramanian Ravisankar, “Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Mild steel processed by Equal Channel Angular Pressing (ECAP)” Trans IIM (Accepted)
S. Suresh Kumar, B. Ravisankar, “Destructive and non-destructive evaluation of copper diffusion bonds” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 23 (2016) 13–20, ISSN: 1526-6125
N. Thiyaneshwaran, K. Sivaprasad, B. Ravisankar,” Work hardening behavior of Ti/Al-based metal intermetallic laminates” Int J Adv Manuf Technology (Accepted) ISSN: 0268-3768 Impact factor: 1.568
S. Suresh Kumar, B. Ravisankar, “An Evaluation of Quality of Joints of Two Dissimilar Metals by Diffusion Bonding using Ultrasonic C Scan” Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2016, DOI: 10.1080/10426914.2015.1127957 ISSN: 532-2475 Impact factor : 1.63
- V Srinivasan, R Kotteswaran, Amit P Shukla and B Ravisankar "Neural Networks Based Image Analysing System For S.G.Iron", Technology, August 1999, pp 1-4
- B.Ravisankar, S S Ramakrishnan and P C Angelo "Diffusion Bonding in Dissimilar Materials- An overview", Technology, A Journal of PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, 2000, pp 5-9
- B.Ravisankar, S S Ramakrishnan and P C Angelo " High Strain Rate Deformation of Materials - An Overview", Technology, A Journal of PSG College of Technology ,2001, pp 28-35
- M.Nandhakumaran, S.Kumaran, B.Ravisankar and T.Srinivasa Rao,”Synthesis and characterisation of Fe-Based multicomponent bulk metallic glasses by high energy ball milling” – Transactions of Powder Metallurgy Association of India, Volume 33, December 2007, pp14-17.
- R.Nagalakshmi, S.Manimozhi, S.Ashok and B.Ravisankar, “ An overview of creep in Materials”, WRI Journal, Volume 28 No 4 pp13-22
- S.Suresh Kumar, J.Krishnamoorthi, B.Ravisankar and P.C.Angelo, “Methodology to evaluate the quality of diffusion bonded joints by ultrasonic method”, Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences, Volume 16, October 2009, pp 331-334.
- B.Ravisankar, D.Lavanya and K.Anbarasu, “Role of Metals in Indian Medicine”, National Journal of Technology, Vol 6 No 2,June 2010 PP 16 – 18.
B.Ravisankar, P.Venkatachalam, S.Ramesh Kumar and J.Krishnamoorthi, “Grain refinement by ECAP and Cryo rolling of CP-Al - A comparative study”, National Journal of Technology, Vol 7 No 2,June 2011 PP 53-57
K. Chandra Sekhar, P. Polly, S. Kumaran and B. Ravisankar, “Consolidation of Mechanically Alloyed Al5083-5 wt.%Y2O3 Nano-composite by Equal Channel Angular Pressing (ECAP)” - Transactions of Powder Metallurgy Association of India, Volume 40 (2), December 2014, pp32-36. ISSN 0377-9416
Awards / Honours / Recognition
- Young Scientist Fellowship was awarded by Tamil Nadu state Council for Science and Technology in 1997 - 98.
- Listed in the Reliability and Quality Professionals Directory released by centre for Aeronautical Systems Studies and Analyses (CASSA) on April 1999 (Release 1.0)
- The AICTE Sponsored R&D Project on " Diffusion bonding in super alloys" had been graded "A" (Excellent) during the annual monitoring exercise.
- Paper entiled, “ Diffusion Bonding of Ti-6Al-4V with AISI SS 304 using Interlayers” – bagged ARCI Technical Excellence award in the International Symposium for Research Scholars (ISRS 2006) held at Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai during 18-20, December 2006.
- Member of question paper passing board for Anna University from 2003.
- Member of the Board of studies in the faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Anna University, Coimbatore from 2007-2010.
Membership in Professional Bodies / Organisations/Service to Society
- Life Member in Indian Society for Technical Education ( 28341) and Secretary for PSG-ISTE Chapter in the year 2004-2005
- Member in Institution of Engineers (M 128999/8)
- Life Member in Indian Society for Non Destructive Testing (5211)
- Life Member in Indian Welding Society(L00542)
- Life Member in Materials Research Society of India(MRSI – LMB 990)
- Life member in Indian Institute of Metals (C03 LM01 35722)
- Life Member of Powder Metallurgy Association of India (PMAI- LM 65007)
- Life Member of Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs – India (LM 498)
DR . B . RAVISANKAR , Associate Professor, Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, NIT, Trichy - 620015
Contact phone numbers
Phone (off): (0431)2503460