- Departments / Centres
1. 2003 – 2007, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India, Doctor of Philosophy (Metallurgical & Materials Engineering). CGPA – 8.5 / 10.00
2. 2000 - 2002, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India. Master of Technology (Metallurgical Engineering). CGPA – 8.97 / 10.00
3. 1997 – 1999 Indian Institute of Metals, Kolkata, India. AMIIM (equivalent to Graduation in Metallurgy, recognized by All India Council for Technical Education)
4. 1993-1997 Government Polytechnic, Visakhapatnam, AP, India. Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering (D.Met.E.), Percentage – 72.17
1. 6 weeks: International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI), Hyderabad, India
2. 6 months: Bharat Heavy Plate and Vessels (BHPV) Limited, Visakhapatnam, India
3. 6 months: Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL), Visakhapatnam, India
1. Assistant Professor, Dept of Metallurgical & Materials Engg, NIT Trichy, since June 2007 (Appointed as Lecturer and later re-designated as Assistant Professor during the implementation of VI central pay).
2. Visiting Fellow, Dept of MME, IIT Madras, Chennai, India during May 25 to July 24, 2009. Selected for INAE fellowship to undergo mentoring with Prof.B.S.Murty, FNAE,
3. Visiting Researcher, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan, June 1-30, 2008. (Host: Prof. K. Hono, NIMS Fellow)
4. Project Officer, Research project at IIT Madras sponsored by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), India, Dec’2002 – Sep’ 2006.
1. Mechanical behavior of metallic materials and their weldments
2. Structure-Property correlations of superalloys
3. High temperature materials (superalloys and intermetallics)
4. Studies on welding aspects of novel materials for improved weld properties
5. Fatigue behavior of metallic materials
6. Wear of composites
7. Cryorolling of Cu and Al based alloys and composites
1. Study on cryorolling of Cu based alloys (with Dr.V.S. Sarma, IIT Madras)
2. Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Gas Tungsten Arc and Electron Beam Welded Alloy 718 (Doctoral thesis)
3. Development of Functionally Graded Biomterials by Microwave Processing (Master’s Project)
1. Recipient of Sir Dorabji Tata – T.R. Anantharaman Faculty Fellowship (SDT-TRA-FF) 2013-2014.
2. Member, International Programme Committee, 3rd International Conference on Advanced Materials and Engineering Materials 2013 (3rd ICAMEM 2013), 14-15th December, 2013 in Singapore.
3. Elected as Member of the Sectional Committee, Section of Materials Science for 2012-13, The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
4. Invited to participate in Indo-German Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (INDOGFOE) 2010, held during June 24-27 2010, Potsdam, Germany, sponsored by DST, India and Alexander von Humboldt foundation, Germany.
5. Selected under INAE young faculty mentoring scheme-2009 to work with a fellow of INAE for two months.
6. Metallography award, NMD-ATM 2005.
1. DST Fast Track project on “Development of ultra high strength aluminium based in situ composites by cryo rolling” funded with Rs. 12 lakhs for the period of 2009-2012.
2. Naval Research Board project on “The effect of micro arc oxidation process on corrosion and fatigue properties of aluminium alloy and its weldments used in naval applications” funded with Rs. 19.056 lakhs for the period of 2010-2012.
3. UGC networking project along with IISc on “Development of metal-intermetallic laminates by diffusion bonding”. Collaborator Dr. Karthikeyan, Asst Prof. Dept of Materials Engg., IISc, Bangalore.
4. Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) under ER & IPR scheme project on “Development of light weight in situ metal-intermetallic laminates for defence applications” funded with Rs.56.15 lakhs for the period of 2011-2013. Collaborator Dr. B. Ravisankar, Associate Professor, Dept of MME, NIT Trichy.
1. MR. SAJITH BABU – Doctoral Student: “Development of ultra hard CNT reinforced high entropy alloy nanocomposite materials”, registered in 2011 (under QIP registration)
2. MR. K. S. V. B. Ramakrishna – PhD Scholar: “Cryorolling behavior of Al-Mg and Al-Li alloys”, registered in 2012 (under External registration)
3. MR. THIYANESHWARAN – PhD Scholar: “Al-Ti based In situ metal intermetallic laminates (MILs) for defence applications”, registered in 2013 (under DRDO project)
4. MR. Shanker – PhD Scholar, “Weldment corrosion”, registered in 2013 (regular scholar)
1. MR. M.S. SENTHIL SARAVANAN – Doctoral Student: “Development of CNT reinforced Al-alloys and their workability and mechanical property” along with Dr. S.P. Kumaresh Babu, MME (Thesis defended on 27-03-2012) – Awarded in 2012. Presently in Chennai as faculty member
2. MR. S. SIVASANKARAN – Doctoral Student: “Workability studies of nanocrystalline Al-alloy composites” along with Prof. R. Narayanasamy, Dept of Production Engg. (Awarded in 2011) Presently with KPR Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, India.
3. MR. N. NAGA KRISHNA – Doctoral Student: “Development of ultra high strength ultrafine grained Al-alloy composites by cryorolling”, Submitted his Thesis in September 2013.
4. MR. S.S. KARTHEEK, MS student, “In situ metal intermetallic laminates (MILs) by diffusion bonding”,(yet to submit thesis) Presently with Dr Karthikeyan’s group as project staff in IISc.
1. M.Tech student projects – total 28 completed
2. B.Tech student projects – total 06 completed
1. Associate Member of IIM, Kolkata, India, (M26457)
2. Life Member of Indian Welding Society, New Delhi, (L00177)
3. Life Member of Materials Research Society of India (LMB985)
4. Life Member of Powder Metallurgy Association of India (LM64407)
5. Life Member of Indian Society for Technical Education, New Delhi (LM58516)
6. Life Member of The Indian Science Congress Association, Kolkata (LM14343)
1.Lecture on “Electron Microscopy”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes (EMMP-2013), December 16-21, 2013
2. Lecture on “Mechanical Testing of Materials”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes (EMMP-2013), December 16-21, 2013
3. Lecture on “Advanced Materials Processing”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes (EMMP-2013), December 16-21, 2013
4. Invited lecture on “Advanced Manufacturing Methods”, Short-term course on “Production Processes for defence applications” during 27-30 May, 2013
5. Invited lecture on “Materials for Defence Applications”, Short-term course on “Production Processes for defence applications” during 27-30 May, 2013
6. Lecture on “X-ray diffraction analysis”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Methods (EM3-2012), June 25-30, 2012.
7. Lecture on “Electron Microscopy”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Methods (EM3-2012), June 25-30, 2012.
8. Lecture on “Mechanical Behavior of Materials”, Short Term Course on Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Methods (EM3-2012), June 25-30, 2012.
9. Invited lectures on “synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline and tri-modal Al-CNT nanocomposites”, Two days workshop on “Recent trends in composite materials and its processing” October 7-8, 2011, KPR Institute of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore, India.
10.Invited Lectures on “synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline and trimodal Al6061-TiO2 nanocomposites”, AICTE sponsored SDP on “Recent Advancements in Nanotechnology and its Applications – RAINTA’11”, October 19 – November 02, 2011, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry, India.
11.Invited lecture on “Nanocomposites: Synthesis and fabrication by novel routes”, Universiti Technologi Mara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 25, 2011
12.Invited lecture on “Cryorolling: an overview”, The Institute of Engineers, Tiruchirappalli Chapter, August 04, 2010.
13.Invited lecture on “Advanced High Temperature Materials and Thermal Barrier Coatings”, AICTE-QIP program on Advanced Materials and Processing”, June 1-15, 2009, organized by Dept of MME, NIT Trichy, India
14.Lecture on “Introduction to Smart Processing of Materials”, AICTE-QIP short-term course on Smart Processing of Materials”, August 10-14, 2009, organized by Dept of MME, NIT Trichy, India
15.Invited lecture on “High Temperature Materials – An overview”, AICTE-QIP program on Metallurgy and Materials”, February 11-15, 2008, organized by Dept of MME, NIT Trichy, India
1. Associate Dean (Research & Consultancy) since October 10, 2012
2. Chairman, Class Committee, I year MTech Welding Engg., 2009, 2010
3. Chairman, Class Committee, II year BTech., 2011
4. Faculty In-charge, Department Library, Dept of MME, NITT from 2007 to 2011
1. Prof. B. S. Murty, Professor, Dept of Metallurgical and Materials Engg., IIT Madras, Chennai, India
2. Dr. G.D. Janaki Ram, Asst Prof., Dept of Metallurgical and Materials Engg., IIT Madras, Chennai, India
3. Prof. Karthikeyan, Asst Prof., Dept of Materials Engg., IISc, Bangalore, India
4. Prof. Satyam Suwas, Asst Prof., Dept of Materials Engg., IISc, Bangalore, India
5. Prof. K. Hono, NIMS Fellow, Magnetic Materials Group, NIMS, Japan
6. Prof. Martin Heilmaier, Physical Metallurgy Professor, TU Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany.
Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
National Institute of Technology
Tiruchirappalli 620 015
Tamil Nadu, India
Phone : +91-(0)431-250 3466 (Office)