Campus Wide Networking
Server Room Rack
LAN has been designed with a Full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet backbone offering an aggregate bandwidth of 10 Gbps between different Switches using Single mode fiber. All the switches are linked through OFC
The salient features of campus wide Backbone Network are as follows:
- 10 Gbps Fiber Optic Backbone
- Gigabit Routing Switch
- Three tier architecture - Comprise of Core, distribution and edge switches
- 1/10 Gbps Manageable Switches at Departments capable of layer3 Switching
- UTP CAT 6 Structured Cabling
- There are about 220 switches, which includes mainly Extreme switches, located in 34 different buildings and 27 hostels.
- 1 Gbps connectivity to each client PC
The features of campus wide network are as follows:
- Layer 3 intelligence high performance and throughput capacity
- Fault tolerant Supervisory module (MSM) in each core switch
- Hot swappable redundant power supply in Core Switch
- Non-blocking forwarding
- Minimized latency
- Support for QoS, bandwidth tracking, and traffic prioritization
- Voice and wireless connectivity
- Ethernet Automatic Protection Switching (EAPS) resiliency protocol
- Manageable edge switches
- All the switches can be managed from Epicenter (NMS) software
- Monitoring the Campus bandwidth using PRTG and MRTG
- Web Servers are in DMZ. All the users inside and outside the NITT lan can access the Servers in DMZ zone via UTM only
- Support for Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN)
- Grouping all computers, servers, printers, and resources of a specific department together independent of geographic location of these devices.
- Improves the security, scalability, and manageability.
NITT has 3 Gbps internet connectivity via three Government Internet Service Providers (ISP):
i. 1 Gbps shared internet connectivity by National Informatics Centre (NIC) through Railnet as a part of National Knowledge Network (NKN),
ii. 1 Gbps shared internet connectivity by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) through National Mission on Education through Information & Communication Technology (NME-ICT) now this has been merged with NKN and
iii. 1 Gbps (1:1) leased line from Software Technology Park of India (STPi).
NKN next phase will be known as Digital India Infoway (DI2) and is currently under planning & implement stage by Government of India.
- Network security is provided through two UTM appliances (SonicWall NSSP 12400 High-End UTM appliances with high availability with automatic failover, active-active) and two Email Security appliances (SonicWall ESA 9000 Email appliances with high availability with automatic failover, active-active). User authentication is linked with ADS
- Currently Wi-Fi facility is available at Guest House, T&P, Library, Admin block, Deans Block, Dean Academic Office, Lecture Hall Complex, LYCEUM, OJAS, IT center, Hostel Office, Shopping Complex, Hospital using Ruckus Access Points.
- All the 27 Student Hotels are connected using 600 HP Wireless Access Points (WAP) to enable students to access Internet and Intranet from their laptops in Hostels. These WAPs are health and performance are monitored by three HP E5400zl Switch management module with totally 9 numbers of HP MSM765zl mobility controllers.
Network expansion still continues and work in on for making the campus Wi-Fi by deploying more number of Access Points.