Dr. M.Venkata Kirthiga
- B.E. - Electrical And Electronics Engineering (Anjalai Ammal Mahalingam College of Engineering, Kovilvenni, Bharathidasan /University, Tiruchirappalli)
- M.Tech. - Power Systems (National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli)
- Ph.D. - Distributed Generation and Micro-grids (National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli)
Experience - Total of 19 years
- Professor, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli - Since 21st September 2022
- Associate Professor, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli - 2018 to 2022
- Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli - 2006 to 2018
- Lecturer, Anjalai Ammal Mahalingam College of Engineering, Kovilvenni - 2001 and from 2004 - 2006
1. A Hybrid Method for Detecting Unintentional Island Formation in Micro-grids – Granted : Patent No. 390197
1. "Internet of Energy based Interactive Residential Load Management System", under the MATRICS _ SCIENCE & ENGINEERING RESEARCH BOARD 2020 - 2023 (Role : Principal Investigator - Completed).
2. "Emergency Response Support System” - Research Consultancy Project funded by CDAC - Trivandrum - MIETY since 2021 (Role : Co Investigator - On going)
3. "Intelligent Controller for Electric Vehicle Charging through Wind Energy Conversion Systems", - under SPARC in collaboration with UNSW Australia, since 2023 ( Role : Principal Investigator - Ongoing. Co- Investigator : Dr.P.Raja)
Areas of Interest
- Distributed Generation
- Power Systems
- Electrical Machines
- DC Machines and Transformers
- AC Machines
- Transmission and Distribution of Electrical Energy
- High Voltage Engineering
- Utilisation of Electrical Energy
- Electrical Technology
- Electrical Machines and Control Systems
- Extra High Voltage AC and DC Transmission
- Micro-processors and Micro-controllers
- Advanced Power System Analysis
- High Voltage DC Transmission
- Power System Stability
- Power System Dynamics
- Distributed Generation and Micro-grids
- 90 PG Projects
- 26 UG Projects
1. Hybrid Analyzing Techniques for Active Island Detection in Micro-grids - Mr. M. Suman, July 2014 - February 2019.
2. Studies on Micro-grid Planning with high penetration of Synchronous Generators - Ms. S. Srividya, July 2015 - March 2021.
3. Investigations on transverse flux motor for a direct drive low speed precision mechanism for spacecraft application - Mr. M. H. Ravichandran, July 2015 -May 2022.
4. Investigations on Energy Routing based Demand Response Strategies - Mrs. S. Nethravathi, July 2019 - July 2023.
- Grid Integration of Wind Energy based DGs - Mr. Ravulakari Kalyan, since July 2016.
- Power Systems - Mrs. Dwija Desireddy, since January 2018.
- Dynamic Modelling of Micro-grids - Mrs. Arya Vijayan since July 2019.
- IoT based Energy Auditing for Railway based Loads - Mr. Purushoth, (Part time External), since December 2020.
- Optimal Siting and Sizing of DGs - Ms. R. Dhivya Bharathi - since July 2022.
- Electricity Pricing and Markets - Mrs. Vidhya M. P. - since July 2021 (QIP)
- M.S. (by Research) - Completed
1. Stability Constrained Optimal allocation of DGs in Autonomous Micro-grids - Ms. K. Kanimozhi, July 2014 - July 2017
- M.S. (by Research - sponsored) - Ongoing
1. High Voltage Testing - Mr. Vignesh, since July 2019
| Place of visit
|| Purpose of visit
|| IEEE International Conference, TENCON, 21st – 25th November, 2011
|| Study tour under the guidance of Dr. Lalit Goel at Nanyang Technological University, from 29th June – 9th July 2013
|| IEEE International Conference AFRICON 13 during 9th – 12th September 2013
|| IEEE IAS Global Conference on Renewable Energy and Hydrogen Technologies (GlobConHT) The Maldives National University, Male City (Maldives). Mar 11-12, 2023
Reviewer - International Journals
- Electric Power Components and Systems – Taylor and Francis Journal – since 2012
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids since June 2013.
- International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems since November 2013.
- International Journal of Energy Conversion and Management – Elsevier since 2013.
- IEEE Systems Journal - since 2018
Workshops / Training Programmes Conducted
- Two day workshop on “Distributed generation”, under the service to community and Economy of Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme during 14th – 15th December 2007, at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli.(Organized with Dr.S.Arul Daniel and Dr.P.Raja)
- Two day workshop on “Renewable Autonomous Power Plants and Micro-grids”, under Self financed scheme during 4th – 5th February 2012, at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli. (Organized with Dr.S.Arul Daniel)
- Two day short term course on “High Voltage DC Transmission”, under Self financed scheme during 17th – 18th August 2012, at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli.(Sole organizer).
- One day Industrial Workshop on “Understanding IGBT: from Device to Inverter”, under TEQIP, on 8th April 2014, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli, in collaboration with Semikron Electronics Private Ltd.(Organized with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr.S.Moorthi)
- Two-day Industrial Workshop on “Power System Modeling and Simulation with PSCAD”, between 12th – 13th May 2014, at the National Institute of Technology Tirucirappalli, under TEQIP-II. (Organized with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr.S.Moorthi (Principal Organizer).
- Two-week ISTE main workshop on “Control Systems” under National Mission on Education through ICT, (MHRD, Govt. of India) during 2nd – 12th December 2014, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli.(Organized with Dr.P.Raja)
- Two day TEQIP Industrial workshop on “Embedded System Design using FPGA board”, during 23rd – 24th April, 2016, at the National Institute of Technology (for PG students). (coordinated with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr.S.Moorthi).
- One Month training programme for New Entrepreneurs – “NEEDS (New Entrepreneur-cum Enterprise Development Scheme Programme initiated by the Government of TamilNadu under Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India”, during 30th October – 29th November 2017, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli. (coordinated with Dr.G.Kannabiran, Dr.N.Sivakumaran and Dr.V.Lavanya).
- Six day seminar on “ Women in Science and Technology : Breaking the Glass Ceiling” – jointly organized by the ICC and Startup Cell of NITT under the aegis of TEQIP and National Commission for Women, between 18th – 23rd March 2019, in NITT (other coordinators are Dr. Meera Sheriffa Begum, Dr. K. N. Sheeba and Dr. Nisha Radhakrishnan).
- Two Day All India Workshop on "Power Quality Enhancement in Distributed Generation" - jointly organised by the Institution of Engineers TLC and Dept. of EEE, NITT, during 19th - 20th July, 2019 (Chairperson, Technical Committee).
- Two Day wrkshop on "Self Defense Mechanism for Women inmates of NIT Trichy" - organised as a part of the Internal Complaints Committee at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli during 17th - 18th September 2019. (Other coordinators are Dr. Meera Sheriffa Begum, Dr. R. Tamilselvi and Dr. R. Manjula)
- All India Workshop on “Opportunities for Industry 4.0 applications in Indian Industries” 3rd – 4th January, 2020 Organized by The Institution of Engineers India and the Siemens Centre of Excellence in Advanced Manufacturing, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli . (Role: Organizing Secretary)
- Six day National Workshop on “Perspectives of Teaching and Learning of Engineering Sciences for Outcome based Education”, 15th – 20th June, 2020, organized online under the aegis of AICTE _ Margdharshan Scheme, along with Dr.S.Moorthi and Dr. P.Raja.
- Five day Faculty Development Programme on “Perspectives of Teaching Power Systems”, 17th - 20th May, 2021, organized online under the aegis of AICTE _ Margdharshan Scheme, along with Dr.M. P. Selvan and Dr. P.Raja.
- Five Day Faculty Development Programme on “Electric Vehicles", 7th – 11th June, 2021, organized online under the aegis of AICTE _ ATAL Scheme along with Dr.S.Mageshwari and Dr. P.Raja.
- Five day National Workshop on “Outcome Based Education”, 14th - 18th June, 2021, organized online under the aegis of AICTE _ Margdharshan Scheme, along with Dr.S. Moorthi and Dr. P.Raja.
- Five day Alumni Interactive Workshop on “Power Engineering”, 13th - 17th September, 2021, organized online under the aegis of IEEE _ Student Branch, along with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr. P.Raja.
- Five day National Faculty Development Programme on “Life Skill Management” – Your Signature is your Identity (Exclusively for Women), 27th – 31st December, 2021, organized online under the aegis of AICTE _ ATAL Scheme, along with Dr.S. Mageshwari and Dr. R.L.Josephine.
- Five day - Centre for ERSS Sponsored Workshop on “Essence of Emergency Response Support System”, 6th - 10th April 2022, organized in Hybrid Mode, under the aegis of CDAC – Trivandrum, Kerala.
- Five Day Workshop on “Wearable Devices And Ai & Ml-Trends And Technologies” -Hybrid Mode, 17th -21st July 2023, Jointly Organized by NIT, Tiruchirappalli and Datanetiix Solutions Inc., at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli.
Administrative positions held
1. Associate Dean (Students' Welfare for Girls) - November 2015 - November 2017
2. Faculty Incharge - Guidance and Counseling Cell - November 2015 - November 2017
3. Associate Dean (Alumni Affairs) - December 2017 - December 2018.
Professional Societies Membership
1. Fellow, Institution of Engineers (FIE) India - Life Membership
2. Senior Member - IEEE
3. Life Member - Indian Society for Technical Education (LMISTE)
- Distinguished Alumnus award – Awarded by Anjalai Ammal Mahalingam engineering College in 2015
- IEEE publication award – awarded by IEEE Madras section for publishing four journals in 2019.
- IEEE publication award – awarded by IEEE Madras section for publishing four journals in 2020.
- 2021 Premium Award for Best Paper in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution for the paper, “Band pass filter and AFVmean-based unintentional islanding detection”, Volume 13, Issue 9, May 2019, pp. 1489-1498.
Room No. G15, EEE Department,
National Institute of Technology,
Phone : 0431 - 2503263