- Departments / Centres
The need for a protocol architecture, The TCP/IP protocol architecture, Internetworking, Packet switching networks, Frame relay networks, Asynchronous Transfer mode(ATM) protocol architecture, High speed LANs. Multistage networks
Overview of probability and stochastic process, Queuing analysis, single server and multi-server queues, queues with priorities, networks of queues, Self similar Data traffic
Congestion control in data networks and internets, Link level flow and error control, TCP traffic control, Traffic and congestion control in ATM networks
Overview of Graph theory and least cost paths, Interior routing protocols, Exterior routing protocols and multicast.
Quality of service in IP networks, Integrated and differentiated services, Protocols for QOS support- Resource reservation protocol, Multiprotocol label switching, Real time transport protocol.
1. William Stallings,”High Speed networks and Internets”, second edition,Pearson Education,2002
2. A.Pattavina,Switching Theory,Wiley,1998.
3. J.F.Kurose and K.W.Ross”,Computer networking” 3rd edition,Pearson education,2005
1. Mischa Schwartz,”Telecommunication networks,protocols,modeling and analysis”,Pearson education,2004
2. Giroux,N. and Ganti,S.”Quality of service in ATM networks”,Prentice Hall ,1999
Students are able to
CO1: compare and analyse the fundamental principles of various high speed communication networks and their protocol architectures
CO 2: analyse the methods adopted for performance modeling of traffic flow and estimation
CO 3: examine the congestion control issues and traffic management in TCP/IP and ATM networks
CO 4: compare, analyse and implement the various routing protocols in simulation software tools
CO 5: examine the various services.