ADVANCED STRENGTH OF MATERIALS
- Mechanical properties of materials like steel, cast iron, aluminum, Timber and concrete – Elastic and plastic deformation – Brittle and ductile failures of materials – Mechanical tests –Mohr’s circle – Lame’s ellipsoid.
- Theories of failure and their importance in design – Equivalent bending and twisting moments.
- Circle of inertia – Dyadic circle – Momental ellipse, stresses and deflection due to unsymmetrical bending – Z polygon.
- Concept and significance – Location of shear centre for singly symmetric sections. Stresses in curved flexural members – Crane hooks – rings and links.
- Fundamentals of vibration – free vibration of single degree of freedom systems – undamped and damped free vibration with different types of damping. Forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems with and without damping.
- Srinath,L.S., “Advanced Mechanics of Solids”, Tata McGraw Hill,1980.
- Kazimi, S.M.A., Solid Mechanics, Tata McGraw Hill, 1976.
- Punmia, B.C., Strength of Materials Part II, Standard Publishers and Distributors, 1991.