FACULTY MEMBER:- Prof.T.K. RADHAKRISHNAN
OBJECTIVE : This course deals with concepts of fluid flow, measurements and transportation.
1. PROPERTIES OF FLUIDS AND CONCEPT OF PRESSURE:
Introduction - Nature of fluids - physical properties of fluids -types of fluids. Fluid static: Pressure - density - height relationships .Pressure Measurement. Units & Dimensions. Dimensional analysis. Similarly - forces arising out of physical similarity - dimensionless numbers.
2. MOMENTUM BALANCE AND THEIR APPLICATIONS:
Kinematics of fluid flow: Stream line-stream tube-velocity potential. Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids - Time dependent fluids - Reynolds number - experiment and significance - Momentum balance - Forces acting on stream tubes - Potential flow - Bernoulli's equation - Correction for fluid friction - Correction for pump work.
3. FLOW OF INCOMPRESSIBLE FLUIDS THROUGH DUCTS:
Flow of incompressible fluids in pipes- laminar and turbulent flow through closed conduits -velocity profile & friction factor for smooth and rough pipes-Head loss due to friction in pipes, fitting etc. Introduction to compressible flow. isentropic flow through convergent and divergent nozzles and sonic velocity.
4. FLOW OF FLUIDS THROUGH SOLIDS:
Form drag-skin drag - Drag co-efficient. Flow around solids and packed beds. Friction factor for packed beds. Ergun's Equation - Motion of particles through fluids-Motion under gravitational and centrifugal fields-Terminal settling velocity.-Fluidization -mechanism, types, general properties ,applications
5. TRANSPORTATION AND METERING:
Measurement of fluid flow: Orifice meter, venturi meter , pilot tube, rotameter, weirs and notches Wet gas meter and dry gas meter. Hot wire and hot film anemometers-Transportation of fluids: Fluid moving machinery performance. Selection and specification. Air lift and diaphragm pump. Positive displacement pumps: Rotary- & Reciprocating pumps. Centrifugal pumps and characteristics.
1. W.L. McCabe, J.C. Smith and P.Harriott, "Unit operations of Chemical Engineering", 5th Edn., McGraw Hill, International Edn., 1993.
1. J.M. Coulson and J. F.Richardson, "Chemical Engineering", Vol 1,3rd Edn., Pergamon Press, 1978.
2. Noel D. Nevers, "Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers", McGraw Hill, International Edition, 1990.