Prerequisites: CA 710, CA 715
1. Introduction – Computational Demands – Parallel Processing Terminology – Types– Flynn’s Taxonomy – Processor arrays, Multiprocessors, Multi computers- Fundamental Algorithms – Criteria for Complexity Analyses.
2. Parallel algorithms on various models with complexity analyses for selection, merging sorting and searching problems - Parallel Programming Languages – C* and Sequent C - Comparison of Parallel Computing with Supercomputing and Distributed Computing.
3. Distributed Computing: Message Passing Model – PVM – Remote Procedure Call.
4. Capabilities of Grid Computing – Grid concepts and components- Grid Construction – Business Perspective - Early Grid Activities – Current Grid Activities – An Overview of Grid Business Areas – Grid Applications - Grid Computing Infrastructure and limitations.
5. Low Cost Parallel Computing – Cluster Computer and its Architecture – Classifications – Commodity Components - Network Services / Communication SW – Resource Management and Scheduling – Programming Environments and Tools – Cluster Applications - Case studies.
1. A.Y.Zomaya, "Parallel and Distributed Computing Handbook", 1995, McGrawHill Professional.
2. Michael J.Quinn, "Parallel Computing: Theory and Practice", Second Edition, 1994, Tata McGrawHill, Inc.