One among the first three departments to be established in 1964 in the institute, the Mechanical Engineering Department of NITT has had the reputation of being among the finest in the country and is dedicated towards the advancement of technology and science.
The department has an excellent industrial interaction and contributes to the industry by offering consultancy services. Some of them are : Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project (HAPP), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and its ancillaries.
To be a centre of excellence in the field of Mechanical Engineering where the best of teaching, learning and research synergize.
The Mechanical Engineering Department is committed to
- Prepare effective and responsible graduate and post graduate engineers for global requirements by providing quality education.
- Constantly strive to improve pedagogical methods employed in delivering the academic programs.
- Respond effectively to the needs of the industry and changing world.
- Conduct basic and applied research and to generate intellectual property.
- Provide consultancy to the neighborhood and cultivate the spirit of entrepreneurship.