- B.Tech (in Electrical and Electronics Engg. from SVUCE, Tirupati)
- M.Tech. (in Power Electronics from I.I.T ., Kanpur)
- Ph.D. (in Electrical Engg. from University of Technology, Sydney)
- Professor since April 2007 in EEE Dept., N I T, Tiruchirappalli
- Assistant professor from December 2001 to March 2007 in EEE Dept., N I T, Tiruchirappalli
- Lecturer from December 1990 December 2001 in EEE Dept., R.E.C., Tiruchirappalli
- Engg. Officer from June 1985 to November 1990 in CPRI, Bangalore
- Senior Scientific Officer during 1984 to 1985 in I.I.T., New Delhi
- Papers published in national, international journals and presented in various international and national conferences. Click here for the list.
- Reviewer for international journals and conferences
Power Electronics,Linear Integrated Circuits, Flexible AC Transmission Systems, Electron devices, Electrical Machines,System theory
Areas of Interest
Application of Power Electronic controllers to
• Variable speed drives
• Wind electrical energy conversion systems
• Flexible AC Transmission Systems
• Energy conservation
- Investigation of DSP based controllers for a brushless doubly fed motor. Project jointly sponsored by Austrailian Government and M/s Varispeed pty Ltd., Australia.
Research guidance & projects supervised
- Guided several student projects in the areas of interest. Click here to view a few.
Details of sponsored projects (R&D)
Title: “Unified Power Flow Controller (UPFC) for enhanced utilization and control of the existing power transmission system”
Sponsor: MHRD, Govt. of India, ref: F.26-1/2002. T.S.-V.,
Value: Rs.10.00 lakhs; Duration: 1.4.2003 -31.3.2007
Development of Power electronics laboratoryRs.34.00 lakhs
Sponsor: National Mission for Power Electronics Technology (NaMPET), Govt. of India
Value:Rs.34.00 lakhs, duration: 1.4.2008-31.7.2009
- ‘A Grid Connected Solar PV Based Street Lighting to Reduce Burden on Battery Energy Storage and to Improve Power Quality‘, applied for funding from NaMPET, under Dept of Information Technology, Ministry of Information Communication and Technology.
Administrative Responsibilities Undertaken
I.Served as the Warden for Opal Hostel during 2004.
II.Served as HOD during Dec.2005 to Dec.2008.
Many developmental activities were carried out in the department during this period. A few are listed below:
- A new MTech programme in Power Electronics was started. Initially funded under TEQIP and by MHRD subsequently
- A new computer centre in the department (45 users)
- Major renovation and refurbishing of all faculty rooms, office room and HOD’s office
- Major rewiring work in laboratories, renovated the power distribution boards
- Implementation of TEQIP phase-1 for Rs.80 lakhs for equipment purchase, conducting of several workshops (under service to community and economy, tribal development, etc.)
- Conducted a National Workshop on Power Electronics, NWPE-2008 sponsored by NaMPET, Dept of IT, Government of India during Nov. 2008.
- Conducted the first ‘Workshop on Power Electronics Education’ sponsored by NaMPET, Dept of IT, Government of India during Jan. 2009.
- Served as a member, in various internal committees from time to time, appointed by administration
- Chairman, DPEC, 2nd Year M.Tech. Power Electronics (2011-2012)
- PAC Chairperson
- Senate Member for PAC Meetings in other departments
- Senate Member for PhD admission interviews in other departments
- Chairperson, Doctoral Committee for Ph.D. students
Membership in Professional Bodies / Organisations
- Life Member - Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
- Member- IEEE
Other responsibilities (professional community)
- Member, staff selection committee for N.I.T., Calicut, TCE, Madurai, CIT Coimabatore, NIT Puduchery and others
- Member, Board of studies, CIT, Coimbatore, TCE, Madurai
- Member, doctoral committee, Anna University, Tiruchirappalli
- Expert, PhD Comprehensive viva, Anna University, Tiruchirappalli