Dr. S. Arul Daniel
He completed his B.E. degree programme from the Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, in 1988 and M.E. degree in Power Systems from the Regional Engineering College, Tiruchirappalli in 1991. He pursued his PhD degree in Electrical Engineering at the Regional Engineering College, Tiruchirappalli between 1999 and 2003 & obtained the degree in 2003 from the Bharathidasan University.
Experience in Pedagogy
Joined the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering of the erstwhile Regional Engineering College, Tiruchirappalli in the year 1989 as a Research Assistant and as a Lecturer in 1994. Subsequent to promotions as Senior Lecturer(1999), Assistant Professor(2004), Associate Professor (2007), he is currently a Professor (Higher Administrative Grade) in the Department.
Experience in Leadership
- Served as Associate Dean (Academic-UG) from December 2005 to September 2008
- Served as Head of the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering from January 2009 to January 2012.
- Served as Head of the Department of Instrumentation and Control Engineering from November 2012 to May 2013.
- Served as Dean(Academic) of the Institute from January 2014 to January 2017.
- Distributed generators
- Power Electronic Interfaces for renewable energy systems
Sponsored Projects completed
- Title: A Neural controller for integrated wind/solar system for battery charging (Along with Dr.N.Ammasai Gounden)
Amount: 5.0 Lakhs
Agency: Thrust Area Project, MHRD (2000-2002)
- Title: Control of a hybrid wind-driven induction generator and PV array distributed generator for the isolated and grid-connected operations
Amount: 8.0 Lakhs
Agency: Thrust Area Project, MHRD (2004-2006)
- Dr.(Smt.) M.Arutchelvi- Autonomous and Non-Autonomous Operation strategies for hybrid Wind-PV Dispersed generators using Power Electronic Controllers(2007).
- Dr. H. Habibullah Sait - Control strategies for inverters integrated to the utility network and fed from renewable sources(2010) [with Dr. C. Nagamani as co-guide]
- Dr.(Ms.) M. Venkatakirthiga - Studies on development and operation of a sustainable autonomous micro-grid (2014)
- Dr.(Smt.) K. Padmavathy- Certain investigations on autonomous and grid-connected solar PV systems (2015)
- Dr. M.M.Rajan Singaravel- Sizing of storage and investigations on power electronic interfaces for hybrid Wind-PV energy conversion systems (2015)
- Dr. (Smt.)S. Mageshwari - Studies on the employment of roof-top PV systems in rural households of India (2018) [With Dr. N. Ammasai Gounden as co-guide]
- Dr. P. Muthuvel - Sizing and design of PV based DC nano-grids for rural households (2018)
- Dr. K. Ramakrishna - Techno-Economic Analysis of a Smart Indian Distribution System (2018)
- Dr. N. S. Suresh - Interfaces for Energy Interchange between Domestic Prosumer and Utility network (2019)
Short-term courses conducted
- Two days workshop on “Distributed Generation”, during Dec.14th and 15th 2007(organized along with Ms.M.Venkatakirthiga and Mr.P.Raja)
- Two days short-term training programme “Integrated wind-solar power systems” (Self-financed scheme) during January 6th and 7th, 2012.
- Two days short-term training programme “Renewable autonomous power plants and micro-grids” (self-financed), during February 4th and 5th, 2012 (organized along with Ms.M. Venkatakirthiga).
- Underwent specialized training on “Wind generators and control” at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Manchester, the United Kingdom during January 1997 – July 1997 as British Council Study fellow(Indo-UK RECs project).
- Underwent specialized training on “Distributed generators and control techniques" at NUS, Singapore during May 2007.
- Attended 26th IEEE Convention of Electrical and Electronics Engineers in Israel at Eilat, Israel, during November 2010.
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering,
National Institute of Technology,
Ph: 0431-2503256 (office)