Contact +91.431.250 3699
Office Lyceum, # 310
Academic Profile [External Link]
Dr. Sathyaraj Venkatesan is an Assistant Professor of English in the Department of Humanities at National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli. He earned his Ph.D in African American Literature from the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur. He was a Fellow at the School of Criticism and Theory at Cornell University, New York and currently, an International Field Bibliographer with Publications of Modern Language Association of America (PMLA).
He is widely travelled including USA, UK, France, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Thailand.
His articles have appeared in SCI journals such as The Explicator, International Fiction Review, MELUS, Journal of Language, Literature and Culture, American Notes and Queries in addition to The London Film and Media Reader, Notes on Contemporary Literature, Facts on File Companion to American Literature, Encyclopedia of African American Women, and in The Hindu. He is profiled in newspapers such as JoongAng Libo, Malayala Manorama, and Mathrubhoomi.
Research and Teaching Interests
Graphic Medicine, Toni Morrison, Literature and Medicine
- Inclusion in Marquis Who’s Who in the World 2011.
- Library Fellowship, the Center for Contemporary Theory, Baroda, India.
- Modern Language Association (MLA) Bibliography Fellowship, Publications of Modern Language Association (PMLA), USA.
- School of Criticism and Theory (SCT) Fellowship, Cornell University, New York, USA.
- Senior Research Fellowship, IIT Kanpur, India.
- Junior Research Fellowship, IIT Kanpur, India.
- Consulting Editor, The Explicator (SCI Journal), published by Taylor and Francis.
- Review Editor, GNOSIS: An International Journal of English Language and Literature.
- National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET).
- National English Language Test Service (NELTS) administered by CIEFL and Orient Longman.
- Gokulnath. A Corpses that Live: Social Death and Coping in selected African American AIDS Literary Narratives.
- "'Telling Your Story Git You Over That River': AIDS and Scenes of Reading and Writing in Sapphire's Push." Journal of Language, Literature and Culture. 60.2 (2013): 109-117. [SCI Journal]
- “Origins of AIDS.” Encyclopedia of American Myth, Legend and Folklore (3 vols.). Eds. Jeffrey B Webb and Christopher Fee Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2016.
- "The Spectale of AIDS: Mapping Indian Queer Cinema, 1985-2010." The London Film and Media Reader 3. London: The London Symposium, 2015. 369-378. [Book Chapter]
- "Toni Morrison's Quarrel with the Civil Rights Ideology in Love." The International Fiction Review. 34 (2007): 139-146. [SCI Jornal] (with G. Neelakantan)
- "Toni Morrison's Home." AUMLA: Journal of the Australasian Univeristy of Modern Language. 118 (2012): 108-110. [SCI Journal]
- "AIDS in Cultural Bodies: Textualizing the Virus in Indian Writing in English." Recent Trends in Indian English Literature. Ed. Saikat Banerjee. Power Publishers, Kolkata, 2014. 219 - 223. [Book Chapter]
- "If Yuvi Can, you can: Reconstruction of the Self and Body in Yuvraj Singh's The Test of my Life: From Cricket to Cancer and Back." Lybyrinth. 5.4 (2014): 35-40.
- "Picturing Illness: History, Poetics and Graphic Medicine." Research and Humanities in Medical Education. 1.2 (2015): 1-6 (with Ragahavi Ravi Kasthuri)
- "Toward a Theory of African American Motherhood." Critical Perspectives on American Literature. Ed. P. Dhanavel. New Delhi, Sarup and Sons, 2008. 287-297. [Book Chapter]
- "History in Shreds: Reading Shashi Tharoor's Riot. Indian Writings in English. Ed. Binod Mishra and Sanjay Kumar. Delhi: Atlantic Publishers, 2005. 57-65. [Book Chapter] (with Joe Varghese Yeldo).
- "Centering the Margins: Locating Black Feminist Theory and Praxis." Critical Responses to Feminism. Ed. Binod Mishra. New Delhi: Sarup and Sons, 2006. 191-200. [Book Chapter]
- "From Pages to Real Life: Oppositional Consciousness in Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye and Sula." Protest and Aftermath in Post-War Literature in English. Jaipur, Surabhi Publications: 2005. 171-181. [Book Chapter]
- "Color of Consciousness: A Selected Bibliography of African American Literature." Indian Review of World Literature in English 5.1 (2009). 2 Feb. 2009.
- "Toni Morrison's What Moves at the Margins." MELUS. 34.1 (2009): 239-241. [SCI Journal]
- "Dragon Daddies and False Hearted Men": Patriarchy in Toni Morrison's Love." Notes on Contemporary Literature. 35.5 (2005): 2-4. (with G. Neelakantan)
- "Family and Parenting in Toni Morrison's Love." Notes on Contemporary Literature. 36.4 (2006): 9-10. (with G. Neelakantan)
- "Toni Morrison's Love." The Facts on File Companion to the American Novel. 3 Vols. Edited by Abby H. P. Werlock. New York: Facts on File, Inc., 2006, Vol. 2. 794-796. [Book Chapter]
- "Amelia E. Johnson." Encyclopedia of African American Women Writers. Greenwood/Heinemann Press: Westport, Connecticut, 2007. 309-311.
- "Students Nonviolence Coordinating Committee (SNCC)." Africa and the Americans: Culture, Politics and History. Eds. Richard M. Juang and Noelle Morrissette. ABC-CLIO: Santa Barbara, California. (2008). 1033-1034. [Encyclopedia Chapter]
- "Jazz" Encyclopedia of African American History. ABC-CLIO Publishers. USA. (2008). [Encyclopedia Chapter]
- "History in Inquisition: Postmodernist Poetics in Toni Morrison's Beloved." ICFAI English Studies. 2.1 (March 2007): 7-12. (with G. Neelakantan)
- Venkatesan, Sathyaraj. Rev. of Love, by Toni Morrison. Journal of Literature and Aesthetics. 3 (2003): 178-179.
- "Psychosis, Incest and Narration: Reading Rushdie's Midnight's Children." Readings. 2 (2004): 74-79. (with Joe Varghese Yeldho)
- "A Marxist Approach to Song of Solomon." Littcrit. 31.2 (2005) 69-79.
- "Black Power Movement (US)." Encyclopedia of American History. Vol. 5. (2009).
- "Trauma, Self and Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye." The Atlantic Literary Review. 6.4 (2005) 53-58. (with Joe Varghese Yeldo).
- "Immigration and Labor Patterns in Toni Morrison's Sula." Notes on Contemporary Literature. 37.2 (2007): 9-11. (with G. Neelakantan)
- "Signs and Cities: Black Literary Postmodernism." American Notes and Queries (ANQ). 10.10 (2007): 57-60.
- "Ishmael Reed." Encyclopedia of Hip Hop Literature. Ed. Tarshia L. Stanley. Greenwood Press: Westport, Connecticut, 2009. 199 -200.
- Toni Morrison's Sula. The Explicator. 66.2 (Winter 2008): 113 -115. (with G. Neelakantan)
- “From the Paralysis of Fear to the Response of Solidarity.” The IUP Journal of American Literature. 3.3 (August 2010): 7–13.
- “‘HIV is not an Advocate”: Self-love, Self- respect and Responsibility in Marvelyn Brown’s The Naked Truth: Young, Beautiful and (HIV) Positive.” The IUP Journal of American Literature 4.3 (2011): 7-13.
"The Spectacle of AIDS: Mapping Indian Queer Cinema, 1985-2010." The Third Annual London Film and Media Conference held at the Institute of Education, University of London, UK. 27-29 June, 2013.
“Social Networking Sites (SNS) Enabled Language Learning.” International Seminar on Humanistic Language and Literature Teaching at he Department of English, College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai. 18th and 19th February, 2011.
"Fertile/Infertile Subjectivities, Contested Masculinities and Indian Cinema." International Conference on Language, Literature and Culture (ICLLC), Institute of Advanced Studies in English, Pune. 15-17 December, 2014.
“Performing AIDS in Literature: Opening Questions.” International Conference on English Literary Studies: Current Trends and Concurrent Challenges organized by Thassim Beevi Abdul Kader College for Women in collaboration with ELTAI, Ramanathapuram. 21 – 23 September, 2012.
“Plotting the Crisis: HIV/AIDS and African American Response.” International Conference on Recent Trends in Literature: A Global Perspective organized by Department of Languages, Garden City College, Bangalore. 27th and 28th January 2012. (with Gokulnath. A).
“Online Communities, Social Networking Sites, Teaching English.” National Seminar on Technology Integrated Language Teaching organized by the Department of English in association with University of Cambridge ESOL Exams, B.S. Abdur Rahman University, Chennai. 1st and 2nd March, 2012.
- "Testing Times: The Q-Factor and English Language Testing." English for Specific Purposes - A Reappraisal, Department of English, Anna University, Chennai. 7-8 March, 2014.
- “Breakup, Analyze and Dialogize”: AIDS Counternarrative in Delany’s Tale of Plagues and Carnivals.” 3-Day International Conference on Diversity in New Literatures. December 16th to 18th, 2010. Department of English, Kakatiya University, Warangal.
- “X-Fear: Politics of Media and Rhetoric of HIV/AIDS.” Fables of Fear organized by CPRACSIS: Center for Performance Research and Cultural Studies in South Asia. August 7 and 8, 2010, Thrissur, Kerala.
- “AIDS in Cultural Bodies: Scripting the Absent Subject.” Indian Association for American Studies (IAAS), 40th Annual Conference organized by Bharathiar University, Coimbatore in collaboration with the US Consulate, Chennai. 15th August to 17th August 2010.
- “FACE the TWEET in the ELT Classroom.” Paper presented in the National Seminar on “Teaching of General and Technical English at Department of English, College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai. 5th and 6th February, 2010
- "Glocal Feminism: Bridging Minority Feminism and Third World Feminism. Paper presented in the 9th International Interdisciplinary Congress on Women organized by Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea in affiliation with Worldwide Organization of Women's Studies. June 19-24, 2005.
- "Culture, Identity and African Americans." Paper presented in the National Seminar on â€œThe Contentious Question of Culture(s) in Contemporary Societies" organized by the Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, University of Delhi, India. March 1-3, 2007.
- "Ain't a Woman?: Locating Black Feminist Theory and Praxis." International Conference on Worlds in Discourse: Representations of Realities organized by the School of Language Studies and Linguistics, National University of Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia. November 21- 23, 2005.
- "(Tran)Scripts on Black Skin": Body Scars, Subversion and Toni Morrison's Beloved. Paper presented in the 11th International Cultural Studies Workshop on "Cultures on Body" held at International Center, Goa. January 23-28, 2006. Supported by the Ford Foundation (India), the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta (CSSSC) and SEPHIS of International Institute of Social History (IISH), the Netherlands.
- â€˜â€œHistory in Inquisitionâ€: Locating Postmodern Poetics in Toni Morrisonâ€™s Beloved.â€™ Paper presented in the International Conference on â€œPost-Modernism, Globalization and the Mediaâ€ organized by Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahamadabad (MICA) India in collaboration with Limerick University, Ireland and Tokyo Urban Technology, Japan. March 5 â€“ 7, 2005.
- â€œâ€˜An Experimental Lifeâ€™: Ethics and Irresponsibility in Toni Morrisonâ€™s Sula.â€ Paper presented in the International Conference on â€œIrresponsibilityâ€ organized by the Division of English, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, National Technical University (NTU), Singapore. September 28-31, 2006.
- â€œAnd I will teach you what you are hungry forâ€: The Politics of Food and Culinary Practices in Toni Morrisonâ€™s Paradise.â€ Conference on Cultural History of Culinary Practices in NE India organized by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Guwahati. December 1 â€“ 2, 2007.
- â€œFractured History: Reading Shashi Tharoorâ€™s Riot.â€ Paper presented in a National Seminar (under the aegis of UGC) on Familial Relations and Society in Contemporary Indian Writing in English organized by the Department of English, DAV College, Kanpur, India. February 17 - 18, 2005.
- â€œBridging the Difference: Converging Postcolonial Feminism and Black Feminism.â€ Paper presented in the International Conference on Commonwealth Literature organized by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Roorkee, India. October 13-15, 2005.
- â€˜â€œBe true to the Earthâ€: Nature and Ecological Imagination in Toni Morrisonâ€™s The Bluest Eye.â€â€™ Paper presented in the Third World Conference and XI All India English Teachersâ€™ Annual Conference organized by Department of English, Madras Christian College, Chennai, in association with the World Association for Studies in Literatures in English (WASLE) and Indian Association for Studies in Contemporary Literature (IASCL) held at MCC, Chennai. December 20 â€“ 21, 2004.
- "From Pages to Real Life: Oppositional Consciousness in Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye and Sula." Presented in the International Conference on Protest and Aftermath in Post-War Literature in Englishâ€ organized by the Department of Post-Graduate Studies and Research in English, Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur in association with Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), India. August 26-27, 2004.
- "Black Bourgeoisie: Reading Class and Race in Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon." Paper presented in the International Conference on Past and Future Perspectives: Negotiating Contemporary Theory, Criticism and Culture in Crisis organized by the department of English, Meerut University, Meerut, India. February 10-14, 2004.
- "Byte in the Class: Internet assisted Teaching and Learning." National Seminar on Recent Developments in English Language Teaching organized by the Department of English, Juhari Devi Girlsâ€™ Post Graduate College, Kanpur, India. November 19 -20, 2004.
- "Politics of History." XXXIX National Conference on Women and American Studies Concerns, Conditions and Contributions organized by Indian Association for American Studies and the Department of English, Auxilium College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu. September 6 â€“ 8, 2007.
- "Panic Bodies: The Birth of AIDS Literary Narratives." International Seminar on The Novel in the Twenty-first Century: Text and Context at the Department of English and Modern European Languages, University of Allahabad, Allahabad. November 29 â€“ December 1, 2009.
- Participated in the National Workshop on Technical Communication. Feb. 27th and 28th Feb, 2009. Organized by Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Technopark Campus, Trivandrum, Kerala.
- Participated in the National Conference of â€œYoung Scholars on Indian Philosophy, Science and Cultureâ€ held from 23rd â€“ 25th January, 2004 at Jamia Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar. New Delhi, India. 2004.
- Participated in a National Seminar on â€œTranslation â€“ Indian Perspectivesâ€ at Govt. Victoria College, Palakkad â€“ Kerala, India. 2004.
- “Be True to the Earth: Ecological Imagination in Toni Morrison’s A Mercy” at 6th Biennial Toni Morrison Conference. Paris, France. 4th November to 7th November 2010.
- “Online Communities, Social Networking Sites, Teaching English.” National Seminar on Technology Integrated Language Teaching organized by the Department of English in association with University of Cambridge ESOL Exams, B.S. Abdur Rahman University, Chennai. 1st and 2nd March, 2012.
- “Plotting the Crisis: HIV/AIDS and African American Response.” International Conference on Recent Trends in Literature: A Global Perspective organized by Department of Languages, Garden City College, Bangalore. 27th and 28th January 2012. (with Gokulnath. A).
- Participated in a Workshop on “Empowering Yourself through Communicative Skills” jointly organized by the Computer Society of India, IEEE Computer Society and IEEE Professional Communications Society held at Anna University, Chennai. 29 – 30, October, 2011.
- “AIDS in Cultural Bodies”: Scripting the Absent Subject (1980 – 2000). UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, New Castle.
- "Edgar Allan Poe: Short Stories and Other Writings." (Edited with a Critical Introduction). Hyderbad: Orient Blackswan Pvt. Ltd.
Articles in The Hindu
- “Narratives of Hope.” Literary Review. p.5. 04 December 2011 (Sunday). (with Gokulnath A). Print. http://www.thehindu.com/arts/books/article2681005.ece
- "How to Name It." The Hindu Magazine. p.4. 25 Novemember 2012 (Sunday) (with Gokulnath A.). Print. http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/medicine-and-research/how-to-name-it/article4129975.ece
- “HIV/AIDS and Celluloid.” The Hindu Magazine. p. 4. 27 November 2010. (with Gokulnath A). Print. http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-sundaymagazine/article918724.ece
- National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Chennai on "Instructional Design and Delivery System."
- VI Theory/Praxis Course, Department of English, Goa University. Organized by the Forum for Contemporary Theory.
- Full fellowship to participate in the School of Criticism and Theory (SCT) at Cornell University, Ithaca, USA. June 18 - July 28, 2006.
- English, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu and French
- Organized three day workshop on Glocal Trends and Issues in English language Teaching: Challenges and Opportunities. Department of Humanities, NIT Trichy. 24 - 26 January 2014.
- Organized One day workshop on Writing Research Paper: Theory and Praxis. Department of Humanities, NIT Trichy. 10 May 2014.